Show Max Underground Distance

by ltab

Shows maximum range indicators to help you place underground belts and pipes.

Utilities
19 hours ago
0.18 - 2.0

b Incorrect behaviour for outlet part

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

When placing the outlet part of underground belt, the ghost suddenly rotates 180 deg. and shows wrong direction, as if I were placing the inlet part.
https://imgur.com/a/3jEz3Fd
This might be due to working together with Picker Extended mod, though

4 years ago

Known, and while it is a bug, it's not something that can be fixed unless the modding api changes. The indicator is always "in front" of the belt, so when placing an exit, it'll end up on the wrong side. It does not happen with pipes, which do not have a defined entrance/exit.

4 years ago

Hrm. Could the indicator somehow temporarily be turned off for such cases?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Unfortunately not. This mod doesn't use dynamic rendering at runtime, since there is no way to follow, or even find, the cursor position. Instead, the indicator sprite is added to the belt entities at startup, and cannot be changed after that. It uses the same system that shows the radius of mining drills, turrets, or substations and the like, which is also why it unfortunately renders behind most other things, another thing I'd love to fix.

I asked for a change to the api to allow it to be done live, which would make it infinitely more flexible, but have been told by a dev it isn't going to happen. So it's an annoyance we're all stuck with.

4 years ago

maybe just show in two directions?

4 years ago

Could be done, but a) it would still look weird I think, just all the time instead of just when placing belt exits, and b) it wouldn't be able to adjust based on other mods changing the distance, so you'd need to customize it to your personal mod configuration every time.

New response