Ore Chaos deprecated

Replace a small fraction of the tiles in an ore patch by tiles of a different type. - 'Help there's coal in my copper ore!'

Content
6 years ago
0.14 - 0.16
Mining

g RNG/Rogue Element

6 years ago

I really love the RNG/Rogue element that this adds to the game bringing the player potentially more realistic ore patches (or meteor crash sites). One obvious/easier solution (besides circuits) is using filter inserters to clean the belt of mixed ore, but the circuit route definitely offers interesting challenges. Great work!
Regards,
~B

P.S. Does it work for existing saves and, if so, current fields or just those not yet discovered.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Thank you!

If you add the mod to an existing save it applies to all newly generated terrain but not to existing terrain. The game generates some terrain around you in the background even if you cant see it. Hence you may have to walk a bit before you see it.

As my list of issues with this mod is nearly empty I might change this in the near future and make it change all patches with no nearby player structures once when the mod is imported.

There's a console command to make a specific area chaotic. The following will apply to a square around your position with a radius (in tiles) that you can change at the start of the command.
/c local radius = 10; remote.call("Ore_Chaos", "process_area", {left_top = {x = game.player.position.x - radius, y = game.player.position.y - radius}, right_bottom = {x = game.player.position.x + radius, y = game.player.position.y + radius}}, game.surfaces.nauvis)

-- Also are you sure you mean rogue? I only know rpg/rogue-like as a genre, but that is completely unrelated to this mod.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Yeah, "Rogue" is a bit off, but it makes me think of RNG games like FTL where you're thrown a scenario and not handling it properly could lead to a fail (mess).

So one way I got it to work without the code was to use the DestroyEmptyChunk mod, but I reverted back because that's quite aggressive all in itself.
~B

P.S. Why does the mod occasionally report to the console that the name is default when nothing seems to have changed because I haven't explored new areas thanks to extended radar mods that have scanned beyond the the biter donut ring?

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Oh that shouldnt happen, not sure what causes that. Thanks for the report. Were you doing anything specific when that happened? I call that output from the on_settings_changed which I thought is only called if a setting of my mod is changed, that assumption might be wrong.

New response