Move with the mouse deprecated

by Jorn86

Allows you to move your player character using the mouse, instead of WASD keys

Utilities
3 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

i Move without item in hand

4 years ago

Great idea for a mod! I can imagine it being great for either couch surfers or people with restricted movement!

Considering the latter group, I think adding an item to the player's cursor every time they want to move is a bit tedious (but perhaps necessary?). If possible, are you able to make it such that e.g. holding both left+right mouse button does the same thing as your capsule does? Or at least in a way that does not require manipulating items in the "cursor-hand", which would be really handy (pun intended) when the player is laying long lines of belts or something like that.

Thanks for your contribution to Factorio!

4 years ago

That would have been my preferred solution, but unfortunately it isn't possible to read a player's mouse cursor position with the mod api, except by using a workaround like the capsule.

Perhaps it is possible to replace the item in cursor with the item that was previously there, if 'click' mode is selected. Would that help?

I might consider asking for the feature on the forums, but I doubt it's feasible, especially for multiplayer.

4 years ago

Humm I figured as much :)

I think that would help. Then you could bind "move" to e.g. left+right click and once you clicked to where you want to move, you'd get the previous item back in your hand, correct? Sounds just as good as my idea actually! :)

4 years ago

Yes, something like that.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to rebind the "use capsule" action (default left click). If you could do that, you could bind the move command (default middle click, configurable) and that action to the same button, and it would move you immediately, in one click. But using the un-changeable left click for that would mess with the default build option too much.

4 years ago

It took a while, but I just added the feature where it gives you the previous item in hand back after moving.

4 years ago

Further improvements require support in Factorio itself. Closing this for now.

This thread has been locked.