Life Pods

For those of us who love factorio's gameplay, but wish there were more of a challenge. If you want to feel a constant pressure to work fast and efficiently, a danger that you might ultimately fail, then this mod is for you. Also adds some incentives to build multiple distant bases connected by trains.

2 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

b Desyncs in MP when somone joins

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

this mod is amazing, and i have been trying to get it to work with a friend, if we start the game and wait for a pod all is well, but if he leaves and tries to rejoin he will get a desynch after downloading the map, this is very sad since this is just the mod i wanted to spice up factorio together with the "global warming" mod.

6 years ago

Oh no that's too bad. It used to work, but maybe my most recent changes have broken it. I will try to debug it soon!

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Can I get some more details here? Does the desync happen when:
A) He leaves and rejoins before any life pods have landed, with no other mods on?
B) He leaves and rejoins after a life pod has landed, with no other mods on?
C) He leaves and rejoins before any life pods have landed, with the global warming mod?
D) He leaves and rejoins after a life pod has landed with the global warming mod?

I appreciate it may be a hassle to test all of those, but any that you know offhand work/don't work would be a great starting point for debugging.

6 years ago

sadly we were just done for today, so far we had desynch with other mods when we tried to add this mod to our save, then we hosted a new game and all was well untill he left and rejoined, then we tried with no other mods and it was the the same result

6 years ago

in the old save with the mod being added no pods were down, in the new games we did a rejoin after the first pod

6 years ago

if you are up for it right now you could host a game and i could try to join, i have same name on steam as here, otherwise im going to sleep soon, either way thx for fast resposne, the mod concept is awesome

6 years ago

I'm not able to reproduce this. Here's what I did:
1) I disable all mods except Life Pods, and start a multiplayer (LAN) game.
2) Friend disables all mods except Life Pods, and joins game.
3) Friend leaves game.
4) Friend rejoins game.
(All before the first pod lands)
There did not seem to be any sync issues after they rejoined.

We will try again waiting till after the first pod.

6 years ago

Have you made sure that both of you have the most up-to-date version of the mod?

In the newest version things like the difficulty and mode are set via Factorio mod settings (press Escape->Options). In previous modes they were set via special commands, which sometimes caused desync errors. Did you use any of the old /c commands in these games? If so, try again without using them - you should be able to do everything from the mod settings menu instead.

6 years ago

ok i tested a blank game and this time we did not get desynched on the rejoin, when we tried to add it it our main save (with other mods) we got desynch like before, but today we tried to retry the reconnect over and over and eventually my friend got in, then every 5 min or so he would desynch, so he hosted and i joined, we got same connection issues but after a while it stopped desynching so all is well on that front, no idea what makes it semi stable, but its playable now, however since we are slow at the game, normal diff is a bit too much for us on our current save, however we set difficulty to -3 (relaxed) in the mod config and difficulty dynamically adjusted based on player numbers to off, but when one of us joins the other the message in the chat says that the difficulty is set to -1 instead of -3

6 years ago

New version (1.5.3) should fix the dynamic difficulty bug. I also made a change that might maybe decrease the amount of desyncs... but desyncs are notoriously hard to debug, so no promises.

6 years ago

this mod is so great tbh im willing to put up with it, also we did not have desnychs in the very earlygame of the new game test, so for all i know it could be a mod conflict or adding to an active save that causes it, so consider it solved at any rate

6 years ago

one question at the end here tho, im not rly super into factorio modding myself, but i was wondering if it was possible to change the bonus from the pod aura to productivity rather than speed, imho speed is not rly that usefull, since its just a one time save of construction resources needed to make twice as many factories, and i would like to change it in my own game to productivity instead

6 years ago

if inside control.lua i change the lines

beacon.get_module_inventory(1).insert({name="speed-module-3", count=2})
beacon.get_module_inventory(1).insert({name="effectivity-module-3", count=3})

with say

beacon.get_module_inventory(1).insert({name="productivity-module-3", count=5})

that should do it i assume?, if yes no need to help me since i did it as i type this

6 years ago

That should work. 5 productivity modules might be absurdly good, and also make everything consume an insane amount of power. You could maybe do 2 productivity and 3 effectivity or something. Anyway it should work.

6 years ago

in any case i appreciate this mod immensely and you trying to help, consider this resolved, i will let you know if it ever becomes unplayable and what was in the save if it does happen, dont worry about it for now and if you ever want to play with a spaghetti noob like me and my friends i would love to play with you anytime

New response