Life Pods

For those of us who love factorio's gameplay, but wish there were more of a challenge. If you want to feel a constant pressure to work fast and efficiently, a danger that you might ultimately fail, then this mod is for you. Also adds some incentives to build multiple distant bases connected by trains.

2 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

i Destruction of pods in infinity

7 years ago

Firstly, great mod here.
I mostly play my games as endless sandbox, so I'm rather interested in the infinite mode.

Have you considered adding some penalty for pod destruction in infinity mode? For example, give local biters some boon, spawn a huge cloud of pollution, etc.
Secondly, how about using a rocket silo to launch inconvenient landed pod back to the orbit?

6 years ago

Sorry I'm just replying to this now. Apparently nothing alerts me when a post is made so I didn't notice :(. And probably you won't notice this reply either. Oh well.

A penalty for pod death is an interesting thought. On the one hand, I sort of want the pod's survival to be its own end-goal. As soon as there's a concrete consequence, people will think "well, it's actually not worth it to save this pod; much better to just take the penalty." But on the other hand, if there's no in-game consequence, it can be hard to make it feel like a real failure.

Yeah I've thought about using rockets for something. I've actually added a separate way to get rid of pods recently, using "life pod stabilization modules." I agree rockets should do something, but I don't know what. If you can launch any pod into orbit with a rocket, then the end game will just become "can you launch rockets as fast as new pods land?" which is sort of silly.

New response