Lamp Placer

by zomis

Select a dark area that has electricity and let there be lamps.

Utilities
8 months ago
0.15 - 1.1

i Medium pole placer?

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Amazing mod! I love it! I was about to write something similar myself but then I found this mod.
But it's missing a tool for placing electric poles (and poles + lamps at the same time). Will you add it?

Also, consider upgrading to using the functionality the 0.17 planner tools use. Automatically disappears and available from the shortcut bar.

I was planning for my mod to automatically placing poles, lamps, roboports and radars (and automatically remove/move them whenever you try to build something on top of them so they are not bothering you) without you having to manually use a tool (but with the ability to toggle on/off, like "Autobuild" mod). It's a bit different but that is another bonus suggestion you get for free :)

5 years ago

Hi and thanks for appreciating the mod!

I wanted to upgrade the mod to 0.17 as soon as possible so therefore I did not use the new planner tools. I might add that in a future update.

Is a tool to place electric poles really necessary I wonder? Do you really want 100% coverage of electricity? Would a blueprint be possible to use instead?

I like the idea of automatically moving things when trying to place something else there, but I doubt it is possible to accomplish with the current API.

5 years ago

Yeah I know, I don't have a hot bar button for my mod yet. Just saying. I appreciate it being available in 0.17 already :)

I'm definitely not talking about 100% ground coverage. I'm talking about (1) Placing fewest poles so all (relevant entities) get power from the closest network while (2) placing poles at a fairly regular grid close to the supplied entities if possible so it doesn't look like complete garbage.

Basically, do my job at wiring up a factory after I've placed assemblers and inserters etc. With the lamp placer tool I can do a filtered deconstruction of all lamps in my factory and then use the lamp placer to plonk them back again in similar enough spots as where they were before. A pole placing tool would do the same for poles, place poles so that my factory gets electricity without me having to place the poles down manually no matter what the factory looks like. A blueprint can't do that unless I want a power pole on every single tile...
And the poles would preferably be close to the assemblers/other crafting buildings so they aren't taking up space where you will likely place other buildings. But if it's a planner then you can just make the planning area not cover space where you don't want poles in most cases anyways so it's not a big deal.

Roboports and radars would be placed at a regular grid though.

Lamps are placed in the electric grid, and the poles would be placed so they touch all the things with the network. If the tool places both then it should, of course, do lamps after poles (and no lamps would then be placed where there are no buildings and no poles already.

Hope that clears up what I was thinking of.

2 years ago

just use blueprints saves RAM and loading time and processing time.

2 years ago

Are you a spambot or a troll? How do you report trash like that on these forums?

New response