Factory Planner

This mod allows you to plan your production in advance, specifying the recipes and machines that make up each assembly line. It provides powerful features that are fast and intuitive to use, so you can focus on actually building your factory.

Utilities
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

g Recipe linked outputs

11 months ago

What: allow using recipes in the output window in addition to items.

Why: currently, if you want to void an item, you must either output it and manually calculate how many void recipes you need, or activate matrix solver. As the matrix solver is not currently reliable enough to add to any arbitrary factory plan without sometimes breaking it, I would prefer being able to at least calculate void counts in the same factory.instead of making a second one or manually figuring it out.

If the matrix solver is improved such that it can always be active like in the foreman2 application this would be unneeded.

11 months ago

Yep, byproduct handling is planned for the normal solver as well, there's just a lot of roadblocks to get out of the way first. I think a solver like foreman would not necessarily be viable, since the performance of a solver inside a mod needs to be very good, else it becomes problematic.

11 months ago

True enough, it needs to either be split across ticks or fast enough to fit within one.

11 months ago

But yes I agree the matrix solver isn't good. I actually didn't write it, so I can't improve it. I'll have to get into the math behind it at some point and go from there.

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

Ah, makes sense. Hard to improve something you don't understand in the first place. I remember back when I modded Warcraft III, and I learned a huge amount about programming. Also that physics simulations are really complex, and I still have no idea how any of that worked, even if it clearly did work.

This does mean that a number of my suggestions go down the drain though, since they involve altering Matrix solver behavior based on my assumption that it was modifiable. But they were lower down in the list, so yea.

--
Actually, turns out, there is already a simple workaround that works for anything that at least outputs something.

Add a product to output. Add recipe producing that item. Remove product from output. Exact Limit recipe to X. Now it provides that resource as a byproduct.
Any resource that recipe demands is now also demanded.

I suspect that if you either allow "Void" or other "zero output" items to be produced (and block any divide by zero errors) or add a button to add arbritrary/void only recipes, you should be able to allow non-matrix void recipes to be added.
Maybe.