Factory Planner

This mod allows you to plan your production in advance, specifying the recipes and machines that make up each assembly line. It provides powerful features that are fast and intuitive to use, so you can focus on actually building your factory.

Utilities
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

i Move recipes/floors, merge subfactories

1 year, 5 months ago

Hi, sorry if this has already been suggested, I only had time for a quick search.

TL;DR: Move recipes/floors up/down, merge subfactories. I can help.

[disclaimer: I only recently started using your mod, so some (all?) of what I describe here may already be available; if so please educate me on how to use it, thanks]

First off, awesome mod, thanks for all the effort.

I'm currently playing the Space Exploration mod, so many recipes are considerably more complicated than vanilla, in particular with byproducts.

As my understanding/use of your planner increases, one capability that pops out for me would be the ability to move things around. For example, in SE say I have created 6 subfactories for planning the products for each of the mid-game non-standard ores (Vulcanite, Holminite, Iridite, Cryonite, Vitamelange, and Beryl). As I worked on setting up the various recipes, I noticed a lot of the output byproducts from one subfactory are actually used as inputs by another subfactory (e.g. stone/sand, water/steam, methane gas, oil products, etc.), and I want to take that into account and see how well these subfactories would provide for each other.

So what I'd like to be able to do is something like the following:

• select (a subset of) recipes and convert them to a subfloor (choosing the "parent" node as part of the operation)
  • move the contents of a floor "up" the hierarchy (eliminating 1 depth of floor)
  • merge subfactories into a single subfactory (possibly with the option of creating floors for each participating factory in the merge)
    [if matrix mode was used, it would also perhaps merge the mode options (like the unrestricted items) along with it, or prompt for re-entering it]

This could maybe be done by having string import/export at each floor, or some other technique.

In my example from above, I'd like to take my 6 subfactories and create a single subfactory with 6 floors, and all the output products combined. It could even be done in 2 steps: first just do the merge without creating floors, then select recipes to be moved "down" into floors.

Hopefully my description of the capability is adequate for you to understand what I'm suggesting here.

I have some (OK decades of) programming experience, I could perhaps help with implementation, feel free to ping me at your convenience.

Thanks again!

PS: I can see how this might be complicated to achieve, especially with the different modes, but my initial feeling is some of this should be possible, even if there are constraints on when it can be applied.

1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry I forgot to categorize into "ideas/suggestions" and "edit" won't let me change it.

1 year, 23 days ago

I am so sorry for not getting back to you earlier! This is a very well considered suggestion, thank you.

You definitely hit on some very valid issues there. They would be pretty simple to implement functionality-wise even, but the issue for me is the UI. Having all these options is kinda hard to find the right place for, and I do kinda wonder if the additional clutter would be worth it in this case. Very open to suggestions on where/how to integrate this.

As a less obvious and convenient solution to your issues, you could use the copy/paste functionality. It works on lines with subfloors and across subfactories, for example. It is not super discoverable though for sure.