Factory Planner

This mod allows you to plan your production in advance, specifying the recipes and machines that make up each assembly line. It provides powerful features that are fast and intuitive to use, so you can focus on actually building your factory.

Utilities
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

g [Request] Factory definition based on inputs rather than outputs

1 year, 7 months ago
(updated 1 year, 7 months ago)

I really love the feature of the Matrix Solver that lets me click on the waste outputs and define recipes to consume them. There are certain factories that I'd like to construct whose entire purpose is just to consume/process various byproducts. For these, defining them in terms of the outputs is roundabout and requires a lot of manual juryrigging of the factory. I'd like instead to be able to define a set of inputs, and then click those, similar to clicking the waste products in the Matrix Solver, to define what to do with them.

A good example is in Space Exploration, I wanted to create a factory definition for processing all of the contaminated byproducts. The concept of use I'm looking for, for example, would be being able to specify that my inputs are 50 Contaminated Scrap, 100 Contaminated Biosludge, and 100 Contaminated Cosmic Water per second. I can then click on them and set recipes to process those into other things, and keep doing that, via the inputs and waste product section, until I'm happy with the type of outputs that result. The factory is then showing my the number of buildings of each type I'd need to be able to handle that amount of input.

Currently, the only scaling for Matrix Solver appears to be on the output side, which means I have to pick an output (the rest can be "waste") and then set the desired rate of output, by trial and error, until I arrive at (approximately) the rate of input I'm wanting to handle. This makes factories dedicated to consuming or processing waste or byproducts, rather than specifically producing something, quite a bit more difficult and annoying to define in the interface, because I have to figure out the translation rate of input to output myself (which is, more or less, what this mod is itself intended to handle, what inputs do I need to make X outputs?), then scale the output so the input is where I want. Inverting this so I can also define a factory via its input rates would help immensely with this type of factory.

NOTE: I'm aware you can set an input rate in the "normal" solver, though only for inputs that are added based on the output you defined (and removing the "goal" output voids the entire factory configuration). This input rate does not seem to translate over to the Matrix Solver, however, and I've yet to find a way to set this in the Matrix Solver, which is annoying, because the "click a waste product to define how to process it" feature of the Matrix Solver is incredibly handy. Basically, I'd like to be able to arbitrarily add inputs, or increase the existing inputs, then use that same feature of the Matrix Solver to define how to process those waste products.

1 year, 7 months ago

Hello, appreciate the detailed request! You are right that this is a pretty significant 'hole' in the solver infrastructure currently. It's on the list to make this work, but it's pretty involved and I haven't gotten to it yet.

1 year, 7 months ago

Definitely get it, hobby projects are just hobbies, and this one is a whopper. Utterly invaluable, though, especially with the massively increased logistics complexity of SE+K2. Figured I'd throw the idea in the ring at least. I'm still at the "knows barely enough to be dangerous" phase of understanding the Lua and scripting stuff, but if I get to the point where I think I can make a stab at it, I'll try to play around with it locally, and shoot over a PR if I get it working. But to be clear, I'm basically at the equivalent of "I know how to change the oil in my car, I should be able to cobble together a turbocharger now, right?" >.>

1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah no worries, feel free to give it a go, but be warned that this is quite complex to get into. The solver side is also only half the battle, the UI changes are also not super straightforward.

1 year, 7 months ago

Oof, ya, hadn't even thought of that part. And tbh, my thing is mostly algorithms anyway, front-end UI stuff is...not even remotely my area of experience or expertise >.>

1 year, 7 months ago

I mean I'm happy to help with that part. If you're really interested in potentially getting into it, the Discord has a channel where some other people that are interested in the solver side hang out.