Factorissimo 2 - notnotmelon fork 🍴

A fork of Factorissimo 2 focused on improving performance by implementing several 1.1 features. Can improve performance by 10X or higher. Also fixes several bugs from the original version.

Content
1 year, 4 months ago
Logistics

g [resolved] Anyone else seeing stalling when building with drones?

1 year, 8 months ago

I've been using this mod for a while now on a new game, and I've gotten to the place where shift-click building ghosts of things and letting construction drones build then causes significant stalls. I swapped the game back to the original Factorissimo2 and I don't see the same issue with it. Anyone else notice the same?

1 year, 6 months ago

Construction drones was discontinued by the original author, please use Klonan's new improved version "companion drones" instead.

1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry, when I say drone, I mean just vanilla construction bots. On my current playthrough, whenever I lay down a blueprint inside a building, I get a long stall before the game picks back up and the bots start building. Even in a building with no roboport and all my personal roboports off. The laying of the blueprint is what stalls things down. For a large blueprint, that stall can be 2 minutes or more.

The good thing is you can simply wait through the stall. It doesn't seems to cause any other issues. I'm thinking of maybe trying to build out a map that reproduces the issue in a little sandbox, but my lua debugging skills aren't good enough to do much more than stare at the code.

1 year, 6 months ago

Send me your save and I will fix this

1 year, 6 months ago

Okay. I'll cook up a save with the issue this weekend and send it to you.

1 year, 6 months ago

I have a save file that shows an example of the behavior I am seeing, and a brief video showing it in action. In the save, I use just this mod and Blueprint Sandboxes. Behavior inside sandboxes is just like in a normal game surface, so it saved me a lot of time to construct things with it.

As best as I can describe the behavior is this--once I set down enough factory buildings and have things nested inside them, at a certain point, laying down blueprints inside a building causes a lengthy freeze/stall of the game. And not just laying down blueprints, using the deconstructor tool to mark a ton of entities also causes the same stall for me. The more entities affected by the operation, the longer the stall.

Example save file is here: https://factoriobox.1au.us/map/info/4dc8d795a41535fc3ebc920ac9cdb047b60c16480a8da123e543c8b74feb51c4

Video demo: https://youtu.be/4IOx6jhI2do

In the video, I start with a set of prebuilt factory buildings. I then start by laying down a test blueprint outside of a building several times to show how quick it is. Then, I go into one of my buildings, go down into a set of nested buildings, and place down the same blueprint. The game stalls, letting the mouse move around but nothing is functional. After that, things pick back up and the game continues. It doesn't seem to cause any harm, but I do wonder if it might cause issues in multiplayer (haven't tested that).

Anyway, thank you for this mod. Even with this behavior, the performance gains I've seen from using it make it more than worth any annoyance. Excellent work, man.

1 year, 6 months ago

A few more notes: The length of the delay seems to scale on two factors. The first is how many entities are impacted (created or removed) by the operation, and the second is how many factory buildings I've added in a game. At the beginning of a new game, for small blueprints, the delay is not noticeable. But after playing for a long while and creating a ton of factories, the delay can get up in the range of minutes for a large blueprint.

1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for the detailed report. I've done some investigating on this.

"Blueprint sandboxes" seems to have special compatibility for this mod. It also contains a function that, when an entity is built, recursively checks for the current distance between the current factory floor and the surface. I suspect that an overuse of this recursive function is the source of these hangs.

It would also seem that the game hangs when deconstructing entities.

I disabled the blueprint sandboxes mod, and was not able to replicate any performance detriments. I also tried completely commenting out Factorissimo's on_built event handler and this also didn't affect the blueprint freezes. I imagine that Factorissimo is not at fault here.

Blueprint sandboxes is a complicated mod, and I was not able to identify the exact change necessary to fix the bug. I recommend contacting somethingtohide for a fix.

1 year, 6 months ago

Thank you! I'll try removing Blueprint Sandboxes from my setup. And again, thank you for this mod.

1 year, 6 months ago

:)

1 year, 6 months ago

Let me know if there are any further issues

1 year, 6 months ago

I can report disabling Blueprint Sandboxes fixes the issue! Thank you so much!!

New response