Brave New World

by canidae

RTS-like scenario for Factorio. Player character is removed, all work must be done by bots

Scenarios
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

g Oarc + BNW

2 years ago

I love Brave New World. I've gotten quite good at it with no mods, I expand a fair size starter base, completely secure it, make a ton of roboports and expand to Megabase. Lasers take out biter bases, once I have trains, expansion is rapid. But I would love to play this multi player. The oarcs mod would fit BNW well since it's a group of players far apart that could link after they conquer their area. It would make the game more interesting to have a team with the goal of launching a rocket.

I've started making it harder just to make it more challenging. I'm completely addicted!

2 years ago

I believe both BNW and OARC are scenarios. Scenarios don't tend to play well together. Someone would have to make a combined "OARC + BNW" scenario.

2 years ago

It merged quite nicely. Some more tweaking, I think the main base should be larger and I'll need to play with a buddy to see how well it plays. Very little of the code is my own, and I think it inappropriate to post anywhere without authorization, so I won't unless I hear from both authors. OARC basically disperses the players around a very large map and starts them in a small base, they have to expand from there. Both scenarios give oil, so you get 5 oil spots, I will remove the 3 from BNW. I call it Brave New Oarc. We'll see if the fun factor is there tomorrow.

https://imgur.com/a/KKpUUNr

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I'm just a slightly less neglectful maintainer than canidae. canidae is the one who wrote almost all of it. If you want approval, I wouldn't consider mine to be worth much in the balance.

Both are both licensed under the very permissive MIT license, so you're technically allowed to do just about anything you like. You can, to an extent, read a license as the author's intent. Personally, I'd just like a link back to this mod from yours.

2 years ago

OK great. I do post this as a mashup and give all the original authors discord/email/names - basically merging all the screens from both mods into the Brave New OARC mod. I'll edit to make myself the support though so as not to add more work for you guys.

So far it plays great, I'll post a Twitch Video this weekend. I'm finding that it's gives more options for fun, also making it easier for new players, if they choose to put a moat around their starter base. It's very easy to defend two chokes, while you build your small base in the OARC circle. Then you are forced to leave the confines of that circle into biter territory. The big addition is team play, and it does as I hoped - making it a great multiplayer mod to the original Brave New World. I have a lot more testing and tweaking to do, but I will give Brave New OARC to a few friends to test multiplayer. I have quite a bit more to do so it's a while before I can share more broadly.

I appreciate your fast replies.

2 years ago

Very preliminary, but playable: This was a very quick merge of the thumbnail and almost no time spent on the text merge other than to append them. I want both OARC and Brave New World to have equal billing.
https://imgur.com/a/BnfKmyO
https://imgur.com/0Z6Cx5S

2 years ago

Those look good. :-)

New response