Brave New World

by canidae

RTS-like scenario for Factorio. Player character is removed, all work must be done by bots

Scenarios
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

g Contradictory statements -- can you explore with vehicles?

5 years ago

The information page says

"you must use radars or explore with vehicles"

and immediately afterward:

"Vehicles may be remote controlled (hover cursor above vehicle, press enter), but cannot be used for exploration"

Which is correct?

5 years ago

The first is correct, you can explore using vehicles. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll correct the information.

5 years ago

Thanks! I've been playing this and enjoying it a lot. Keep running into surprising bottlenecks. Sudden blackouts are the worst, so I'm moving to full solar power. But my initial oil wells are running dry and I don't have enough roboports yet to reach other oil fields. Roboports take so many red circuits (hence oil), so it looks like slow going for a while...

5 years ago

Oil wells never run dry, so you shouldn't get completely stuck. You should prioritize building roboports until you reach a good oil field, don't spend too much blue science early on. I usually rush for advanced oil processing (and laser turrets), then I pause science for a while and focus on roboports for expansion.
Oh, maybe you know of this already, but using burner inserters to feed boilers greatly help on blackouts. You can also create a buffer with fuel (using burner inserters to both put into and take out of the chest(s)). I even use a requester chest for this buffer, set it to request wood which is then fed to the boilers. If you run out of fuel then you of course have a problem regardless, but you can avoid the problem of the electric inserters running out of power, effectively ending your power production.
In the long run solar is the safer power production alternative, though.

5 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I did get to the oil and I've been expanding with lots of roboports; just about to set up purple science. Some more feedback:

The lack of fast-replace makes things tedious. If you want to upgrade a belt that is full, it takes almost 10x the work it should. If you try to upgrade your smelters when plates are backed up, you may have to unload 100 plates from each smelter! I have tried to view this as an interesting twist, but overall I think it is just annoying. You also end up with a bunch of raw materials in storage afterward, for no good reason. I know there is an issue with using upgrade planner, but a fix for this would really make things nicer.

5 years ago

I'm aware of the fast-replace issue. It was something I did look into, but it wasn't quite straight forward to fix.
Judging by https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-255 it looks like 0.17 will come with an upgrade planner that supports fast-replace, so I won't do anything about this now.

5 years ago

Another annoying issue I've run into: as far as I can see, it is impossible to filter train wagon slots. Please do let me know if there is any way to do it.

5 years ago

Never thought about that. I thought you could middle-click on a slot to select a filter, but I've not tested it (and I generally don't play Factorio as much these days so I may be incorrect on this).

New response