Brave New World

by canidae

RTS-like scenario for Factorio. Player character is removed, all work must be done by bots

Scenarios
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

i How to progress??? ( have suggestions)

5 years ago

look, I'm not really a noob, but I'm kinda stuck.
For example, if I want to create an assembly machine 2, well I'll have to manually craft it.
You also can't really gather resources other than the limited amount that you start with.
so, for example, you generated a world, but the nearest coal patch is farther than the belts can go, so you are stuck.
And while adding the option to manually craft will take away the RTS style of gameplay that the mod was made for, I realized there is another solution to the problem.

1. add assembly machine 2s to the starter pack. Hopefully this may allow me to create rails and stuff ( and even more assembly machines ).

I also forgot to mention earlier that I use quite a few "cheaty" mods, such as creative mode. I cannot place certain items ( i.e provider chests with every item ), as they are unobtainable without making one with your inventory.

And also, other than that 1 idea that I came up with, I've got nothing. Hopefully I can think of other solutions.
Now, I like this mod and what it does, it's just that i am just stuck.
-RandomModder

5 years ago

Hi there. Vacation & busy -> slow reply :)

It's true you can get stuck in this scenario if your world place resources out of reach. I think I wrote a bit about it on the info page. Technically you probably can reach resources much further away than you think, but it involves juggling roboports, robots, belts & chests, so it's not practically feasible.

I don't plan on adding assembler 2's to the starter pack. It is possible to get there fairly quickly with the assembler 3's you start with (I had to make it assembler 3's otherwise you wouldn't be able to craft oil refineries. Other option was to let the player start with some oil refineries, but I prefer that the player should go through research like in normal games).

As for creative mode (heavy user myself), I should've probably made a check if that mod was enabled, and if so, let the user craft stuff. You can work around this by console commands, but it's quite ugly. I might do something about this if I end up spending time with Factorio again (sort of on a break from the game).

5 years ago

I added better support for Creative Mode in version 2.3.0, which should make it easier to test designs in the BNW scenario.

5 years ago

Sorry but i can't see any assembly machine 3 in my starter pack. Could it be?

5 years ago

With 0.17 I replaced the assembler 3 with assembler 1. The reason it was 3 in 0.16 was because you couldn't craft e.g. refineries with assembler 1, but as they removed ingredient limits in 0.17 this is no longer an issue.

5 years ago

The issue is the seguent: the assembly machine 2 need 4 ingredients to be made and assembly machine 1 handle only 3 ingredients max. So how can we make an AM2? We definitely wont. We need at least 1 AM2 in order to make more of them, otherwise we are pretty stuck

5 years ago

No, that is no longer the case in Factorio 0.17. There's no longer a limit on ingredients for assembling machines.

New response