Content
4 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Mining

g Lithia Water vs. Ground Water

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi,

First of all thanks a lot for your mods, they make Factorio many times better than Vanilla.
I would like to suggest to have a separate setting in Factorio's Map Generator for specifying the amount of Lithia Water separately from Ground Water.

Explanation: I wanted to set up a super-dry desert world, with no water - or actually almost no water, since the startup lake seems to be "mandatory". The only water sources around would then be underground. I wanted normal water to be somewhat abundant, but Lithia Water quite rare to find, increasing the game challenge.

Do you think it is viable? It would be really nice to have this!

4 years ago

In theory it is possible, though currently if you have pure water turned on, then ground water actually gives you pure water when you mine it, which is different than the water from the offshore pump.

4 years ago

Well, pure water can be converted to normal water too, doesn't it? Or alternatively simply have an option to extract normal water instead of pure water from the underground. Dry worlds with this option enabled would obviously require more distilleries, but this would be simply a consequence of water being such a valuable resource now.

I believe that making water a more valuable resource like crude oil is a very cool theme, since it reminds me of so many cool post-apocalyptic movies, like Mad Max, and Dunes... we would suddenly see trains hauling the valuable water in such scenarios! This adds a new challenge without adding too much complexity to the existing mechanics.

I would like to leave it as a suggestion for you:
- Have a separate map generation options for Lithia Water and Underground Water
- Have an option to extract normal water instead of pure water from the underground - maybe have separate pumpjacks for extracting normal water instead of pure water from the underground?
- Convert pure water to normal water somehow...

4 years ago

normal water to pure water is a one way transition in several places on purpose, for example, Deuterium extraction, so you can't re-use the same water to get more deuterium out of it.

Also, have you tried to do things like nuclear power off water you bring in via trains? It's not practical, you can't bring it in fast enough.

New response