Bob's Functions Library mod

Adds a series of useful functions used by Bob's Mods. These can easilly be used by other mods too.

Internal
4 months ago
0.13 - 1.1

g [Info]Settings to play as intended with the whole mods suite?

1 year, 8 months ago

Hi,
First of all, great mods.
But, I started playing with your whole series of mods for a dozen hours before realizing that maybe I had fiddled with the setup settings a bit too much and I was a bit away from the "intended" experience.

So: do you have recommended startup settings for a game that use your whole suite of mods (and nothing except QoL mods; i.e no Angel etc.)?
Is it already the default settings?

For example, "burner power phase" is unchecked with default settings, but it seems to me that it becomes irrelevant if it is not made obligatory in the tech tree.
Same question with:
-gems, whose settings all seem unchecked by default.
-requiring previous tiers of transport belts/inserters, enabled by default, but which seems to go against the philosophy of circuit boards not requiring the previous ones.
-drainless laser turrets / inserters, disabled by default
-bigger enemies / super spawners, disabled by default
-infinite ores
etc...

Would you be kind enough to provide an exhaustive list of settings that differ from default settings for what you would consider your view of the intended experience with your mods?

1 year, 8 months ago

The default options aren't quite the intended experience, they're the recommended options based on feedback and what people used, or liked/disliked.

I personally turn on the Burner power phase (Which was turned off due to compatibility with AAII), God modules and super spawners.

Drainless inserters was an experimental thing (and a friend requested it)
Bigger enemies, Gems in other ores, and infinite ores are again difficulty options.

The belt tiers thing requiring the previous tier is mostly because... what are you supposed to do with all the old ones when you upgrade? Same with Robots.

Also, the ores from other ores (Nickel and Cobalt) have a history. Neither Nickel ore or Cobalt ore used to exist, so you just got Nickel from Lead. This was when the game didn't handle lots of ores very well, so when I added nickel, I made it come from mining lead ore.
The lack of Cobalt ore was on purpose because it wasn't needed (The only use for the ore is to make the oxide, and that can be extracted from copper), but people wanted some options to get it.
So the gems and ores from other ores were for "Fewer ores to not mess up the map generator screen" reasons. You can still do it for Difficulty reasons, because then you have to sort things. It's not that fun in the early game to try and set up a coal fuel line, only to have things lock up when it fills up with diamonds.

New response