Better Ore Icons deprecated

EDIT: since 0.17.46 it's finally a thing!

Tweaks
5 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

g Realistic ores

5 years ago

Thanks for supporting my mod!

A few suggestions though.
You should add it as an optional dependency in the file "info.json". It will enforce that Factorio will load my mod first, so you can safely change its data.
You could make these icons more similar to my ores by using the same method I've used. I converted the original textures to shades of grey to make masks. Then I found pictures of real ores in the internet and used them to make realistic textures. Then, I've merged the masks with the realistic textures in Gimp. A the end I tweaked brightness and contrast. Sadly I'd already deleted all the realistic textures except the uranium.

5 years ago

Hi,

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to you for you simple summary of GIMP HowTo's with 'masks' & 'realistic textures'.

I've seen GIMP many times in Linux but I didn't like the size for either Linux or Windows (my experience is limited to Paint Shop Pro Shareware v3.12 & Windows Paint - any file size higher was, for me, MASSIVE & too complicated).

However, thanks to you - & your short HowTo - I rekn I'll give GIMP a try with it's masks & realistic textures.

Thanks again,
Mark

New response