Workbench - Crafting made easier

by akipfer

A Simple, yet handy workbench for crafting faster, mostly everything, mostly.. U may need to sit, like in a vehicle(GET IN..) Please do post bugs, or other related ideas/ways for fixing bugs if any!

Utilities
1 year, 2 months ago
0.16 - 1.1

i Limit manual crafting to only work with a workbench.

1 year, 2 months ago

Good afternoon The idea is interesting, but it will fit into the game better, as an element of hardcore.

That is, it is better to make it so that the player can manually craft items only while standing at the workbench.

1 year, 2 months ago

Wonderful idea. I'll add this to TODO for sure!

1 year, 2 months ago
(updated 1 year, 2 months ago)

Hello your mod pleases me a lot and has big potential, finally for my part I find.
I wanted to create a mod like this and I like the first graphics of your buildings.

The idea of only crafting in these buildings instead of doing it by hand is what I thought of when trying out this mod but I see the idea has come up.

To help with this you have to change the category of recipes, create a new one associated with your buildings.
The current problem is that your buildings are vehicles and vehicles cannot create recipes. It would have to be assembly machines, but we would lose the possibility of entering the building.

Yes I add new problem more than idea but you see the problem.

Someone already had a similar idea here, if it helps:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/playerpower

Courage to you for the future.

I'm french so I used google translate, sorry

1 year, 2 months ago

Ritn wrote:
"To help with this you have to change the category of recipes, create a new one associated with your buildings.
The current problem is that your buildings are vehicles and vehicles cannot create recipes. It would have to be assembly machines, but we would lose the possibility of entering the building."

Of course, I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that it is not necessary to use a production building and create a new set of recipes for it. This will lead to difficulties when playing with other mods.

I think it's better to limit the crafting of the character itself. Something like that:

If the player is in the building (workbench) - then you can craft. Otherwise, block the craft, and pause the running production.

1 year, 2 months ago

Thinking with multiple brains is better than one!
The idea of limiting the player is not a bad one, indeed.
To achieve this, it would be enough to write in the data file:

data.raw.character.crafting_categories = nil --{"crafting"}

But I think adding a new category would then be necessary to at least be able to craft the workbenches.

-- new category
local newCategory = {
        type = "recipe-category",
        name = "manual-crafting",
    }
data:extend({newCategory})

data.raw.character.crafting_categories = {"manual-crafting"}

Therefore, this property will need to be added to the recipe for all workbenches:

category = "manual-crafting",

But the issue remains that we cannot build inside a vehicle.

1 year, 2 months ago

Check out this mod - https://mods.factorio.com/mod/kj_40kbunker

It has a bunker "Bunker(Сar)" Being in it, you can craft everything you need without any problems.

1 year, 2 months ago

It has a bunker "Bunker(Сar)" Being in it, you can craft everything you need without any problems.

Yes, just like how you can craft inside a vehicle in vanilla. It's the character who is crafting, not the vehicle. In your mod, it's not the bunker that is crafting, but the character.

1 year, 2 months ago

Ritn wrote:
Yes, just like how you can craft inside a vehicle in vanilla. It's the character who is crafting, not the vehicle. In your mod, it's not the bunker that is crafting, but the character.

I'm talking about the same thing. Why do you need a workbench with crafting, if you can simply limit the crafting of a character only for the period of placement in the workbench building?

1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, it is true that it is possible to do it that way, but it is not simple to implement.
I don't know which solution is simpler to solve this problem.

1 year, 2 months ago

i was going for something a bit more easi...

just limit crafting speed to 0, if that's even possible of course...i have to about that first..but yeah

it's a car so i can get it, i would really love to use wasd as an activation pointer to enable crafting, not 'moving', aka pressing wasd, no crafting....

1 year, 2 months ago

Perhaps it could be a warehouse, like factorissimo2, u get in and voila, u got crafting...
out, no crafting, could be either 0 speed or disabling/enabling with such condition..

1 year, 2 months ago

Perhaps it could be a warehouse, like factorissimo2, u get in and voila, u got crafting...
out, no crafting, could be either 0 speed or disabling/enabling with such condition..

In Factorissimo2, the character is teleported to another "surface" and is not actually inside the building.

1 year, 2 months ago

Something we are confused.

Factorio allows the character to craft inside the car. And if the workbench is a modified car, then you can craft in it anyway.

Therefore, the main problem, in our case, it seems to me, is the need to prohibit the character from crafting outside the workbench (car).

Accordingly, it should be expressed like this:

if (character is inside workbench Mk1-){ character crafting speed - 75% }
else if (character is inside Mk2 workbench){ character's crafting speed is 100% }
else if (character is inside Mk3 workbench){ character's crafting speed is 150% }
else if (character is inside Mk4 workbench){ character's crafting speed is 200% }
else {character crafting speed - 0% }

Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer and I can't express it in pure code.

1 year, 2 months ago

Yesterday during our discussions, I worked on my approach.
I'm posting the link here: https://easyupload.io/m95hji

I only did it for the Workbench mk1, but I think it will be easy enough to implement the others. I removed all the other functions to focus only on the problem.

I restructured the game's event handling a bit in my own way. (control)

The idea is mainly to show how I see things. I think that using ZQSD (or WASD for you) complicates things even more, whereas not being able to craft by hand is already not simple :D

I'll leave it up to you to do as you wish with your mod, of course. However, I prefer to ask even if the license allows it: can I use your graphics for my own mods? I'll add a mention of your mod in the description the day I use it because I really like it :)

New response