Water As A Resource

Turns Water into a non infinite resource. Water bodies get removed and replaced by solid ground. Offshore Drains allow water & oil to be put back into these depleted areas. 0.8.0 - 1.1 Factorio Compatibility, Multiplayer Multiple Forces Update, Krastorio2 Support, Reworked MapMarkers

9 months ago
0.16 - 1.1

b Multiple Problems

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I like this mod idea, but I ran into a couple issues pretty quickly during my testing.

The first problem is explained like so: I placed two pumps on a small puddle and connected them with K2 steel pipes to a huge storage tank. When the pumping started the percentage jumped from 0% to ~270% depleted - at this point the mod was buggy in multiple ways:

• I could pump infinity as much water as I wanted.
  • When I removed the pumps the mod thought they were still connected. When I put pumps back where the old pumps were, the mod now thought there were 4 pumps connected to the puddle despite there only being two spots to place pumps.

In my second problem: I generated a world with islands and when I tried to connect a pump to the large body of water that could confidently be described as an ocean, it took a long time to calculate. So long in fact, it never finished. As I waited and waited my FPS and UPS began to tank and I had to exit the game. I have a few ideas of what the mod could do better in this scenario:

• After reaching a threshold the water is considered "infinite". Because large bodies are commonly saltwater, extra processing could be required to make the water fresh and usable again. This would provide a tradeoff over using the limited but easily exploited freshwater bodies v.s. the unlimited but complicated saltwater bodies.
  • The water body calculation could simply be limited to a certain amount of water, ignoring the rest and filling in that area when depleted as normal.

New response