Thaumaturgic Machinations

Explore the world of thaumaturgy through magical research and development.

Overhaul
3 years ago
0.15 - 1.1

i integration with other mods and new functions

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I love your mod, I had been thinking about something of the sort for a long time now, but you managed to do it in an amazing way not to mention the possibility for growth. I suggest the addition of another purpose for the essentia, namely, resource and energy generation, especially in regards to bobs, angels and omni resources.

Would you be willing to implement this? If so, I can suggest you some ideas on how to implement this.

6 years ago

i have programmed the mod in such a way as to make integration into other mods easily. as far as energy generation goes, i do have an ignis boiler. what kind of ideas were you thinking of?

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

about resource generation, the idea add a new aspect (creatio) with which it would to be able to generate any given resource provided we also use its corresponding aspect and in such a way that you get more in the end of a chain than you started with (so we need the resource's aspect + creatio to get more ore). For instance:

2 iron ore -> 2 iron plates -> 200 ordo (+ x creatio) -> 3 pre-iron (+y creatio) -> 3 iron ore.

And less elementary ores would come from a mix of the aspects, so saphirite would need ordo and perditio, omnite would come from ordo + ignis + herba + aqua + aer + terra... I would be willing to come up with a reasonable balancing scale for this as well as the schematics. (I'm still learning how to program, so I can't help with this yet).

To get creatio, I was thinking of using the science packs in order to get large amounts, and the better the science pack, the more creatio you get, or maybe creating a whole chain just for it.

About energy I was thinking about two things:
- Imbuing aliens with some loot whose aspect (anima), when fed to a specific building, would generate a nice amount of power
- A battery for the magic robes that gets filled with power from the magic crystals, but then can be used feed another specific structure, so that "you would be feeding your base with your magic".

6 years ago

could you go more in depth or maybe make more examples with the creation thing? as for alien drops, i am inherently biased against adding any kind of drops from hostile aliens.

6 years ago

yes, do you want me to do it over here or via email? by email i can send some pictures

6 years ago

either send it via email, or discord.

6 years ago

i don't have your email or discord address

6 years ago

I played your mod a bit and came to the same conclusion - thing that mod really lacks is synthesis bracnches. And it is actually quite annoying. You can think about it like this: You have your mod that adds things to the game. Part of them are purely mod-related and supportive and part of them have some purpose by themselves. Purposeful things are the only things that justify the usage of your magic framework. For your mod situation is:

There are one-time rewards and it is equipment. It is currently not things like, you know, Philosopher Stone or sth like that - an ultimate thing that justifies everything. (BTW I highly recommend adding a Philosopher Stone or sth like that that justifies everything).

There are needed-in-small-quantities rewards and they are enchanced machines, modules and energy generators. They provide number-boosting effects but that's it.

And there is one infinite resource output, and it is wood.

So actually in a typical Factorio run building a thaumaturgical branch for your factory automatically becomes a lategame feature - it is not really justified while you're small because it gives you nothing but energy and speedup effects, when what you need is some qualitative changes like Robots and energy-only turrets.
(and it doesn't really help you to reach them)

BUT if you add some way to transform vanilla things one into another via thaumaturgucal means, thus altering optimal vanilla production chains, if you enable useful cycles and/or add some QUALITATIVE rewards (btw producing wood is a qualitative change because you cannot do it normally... although of limited usability), then you will see that hybrid thauma-whatever else factory starts to look more interesting - becomes more interesting to build - mod is much more attractive.

I can join your discussion on actual production chains if you want.

New response