SmallFixes deprecated

Small non game changing/breaking fixes

Utilities
7 years ago
0.13 - 0.14

g Having to mess with mod config files

7 years ago

Hi

I like your mod, but in this day and age of automated mod downloads from the portal, it's a problem that you have to go into a config file and edit it to enable the more powerful tier-2 Radar.

I mean, it's not a problem if I'm playing solo, but if I'm setting up a multiplayer game, and the other players want to take advantage of the automated mod feature that Wube will add soon, and they choose to download the mods required for my game, including SmallFixes, via the portal, then they'll get the default version of SF with tier-2 Radars disabled, and so when they try to connect to my game I imagine they'll get rejected.

And then I have to explain to them that they have to find a particular folder on their hard drives and go in and make changes to a file. What if those people aren't particularly computer-savvy?

What if they're used to just buying games from Steam, games that just work, maybe venturing into Steam's Workshop and cherry-picking a mod or two, especially if someone else recommends it. Being told they have to find and then edit a config file might be extemely intimidating to them.

7 years ago

There is nothing i can do about that (short of creating a different mod for each possible combination in the config). There's already a suggestion that would allow something like that in the forums

You can always upload the mod yourself with a different name and the changed config

New response