Factchild - Simple Recipes for children

Mod specially made for children to send many rockets into space.

5 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

i Feedback

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hello, not a native english speaker so hopefully everything's understandable :)

So I've played the pack to test it, then let my 10 years old daughter play it too. Overall this is a solid 9/10 because its really doing his job: factorio for children. Imo after 14-15 years old they are as good as adults in video games, so that pack fit nicely for the 9-13 years old kids.
We tried with default settings and it was a bit too hard (maybe at 12-13 years old of it would be better?), so we played in peaceful + bigger ore patches and it went quite smooth! I just wish I disabled the cliffs since there is no explosives. (Disable pollution if you want to keep the good looking trees, and if possible get a map not filled with trees)

We've stopped after the first rocket with satelite was launched. Here are the little things that could be better, from what I've seen:

1/ Too many techs in the science tree. It's confusing, perhaps get rid of somes like, cars/tanks/advanced trains stuff/the later nuclear one/logistic stuff, even the larger belt and mining speed? Or pushing them down the tree, so it's not there from the beggining.
Perhaps I'm wrong on this one, but from what I've seen trains and nuclear power is to complex to build.

2/ Something really quite confusing is that the tech tree is really weird after blue science. You unlock the silo tech when you have the blue science tech, but you need purple and yellow science to research it. I think that point really needs to get fixed. Here is my simple take on it, that should resolve the issue: https://i.imgur.com/H9HWqti.png

3/ A third of the game was trying to build red circuits, that's a bit much in my opinion ^^ Since they are kid they probably won't build big, efficient and tileable setups easily.
Recap: 1 blue science = 1 red circuit; 1 purple science = 3 red circuits (through electric furnace); 1 yellow science = 3 red circuits (through blue circuits). Add some for the Silo, to fill the silo, and build more furnace.
You could balance that (if you want to, again that's just my opinion) by changing 2 things: Electric furnace built with 2 red circuits and 3 furnaces (instead of 2 and 3); and Blue circuit built with 2 red circuits and 2 greens circuits+steam (instead of 3 and 3+steam).

4/ Why do you need 50k ammo's to launch the rocket? That seems a bit much, we just let the PC running while it was finishing because it was just taking too long. Ammo's have such a simple recipe that it doesnt feel rewarding to build. You can fix that by lowering the how many ammo's you need in the defense robot recipe (maybe to closer to 40-50?)
Or changing the control unit recipe if you feel like the defense robot would be too cheap (but IMO 40-50 ammo's for a robot that lasts only for a minute or so isn't cheap at all) :
Actual: 2 blue circuits + 1 robot = 1 control unit.
Fixed: 4 blue circuits + 1 robot = 2 control units. (or even 6 blue circuits + 1 robot = 3 control units if you want to reduce it more.)

I think that's everything, in the end that's not that much to modify and that why this is already one of the best mod out there, good job :)

(Edited a typo)

4 years ago

BartZeroSix, Thank you very much for the information, I will start as soon as possible to implement these modifications that you propose to me. Love it ... I'm so glad you liked the mod, and you and your daughter had fun with it. Thank you! :)

4 years ago

Nice :) Once it's updated she'll probably want to replay it, surely with bitters this time!

New response