Ribbon Maze

by H8UL

The maze itself is destined to be automated.

Overhaul
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

g Mod resources

5 years ago

Hello,

I've been collecting some mods for my first Factorio play-through in a while, and Ribbon Maze looks like a really nice addition!
While generating and revealing some random maps, I noticed some (potentially) weird behaviour regarding mod resources and dead ends. So I just wanted to check if other people noticed the same thing, and what combination of settings (this mod, other mods, map-gen) people were using to get the best results?

Notable mods I have installed that would affect resource spawns are Bobs, Angels, MadClowns, RSO.
Dead-end spawns mainly (almost exclusively) seem to be Coal and the 6 basic Angel ores.
Fluids (aside from one Multi Phase Oil block at the edge of the start area) and Clown Ores seem extremely rare as dead-end blocks, the first one was hundreds of chunks deep into the maze (about 3 screens at max map zoom level), and beyond that they seem to remain just as rare.
Aside from dead end spawns, there are also random patches of various resource types. Here, the ratio between the 2 categories I mentioned seems more balanced (Clown and Fluids seem to occur less often than the basic ones maybe, but not to a very extreme degree).
Presence of infinite ores seems fine in all patches.

Because of that presence of random patches, I reckon this is definitely not a game breaker. As far as I can tell, those resources are needed less often and/or mainly later in the game, so I think one would probably be able to make do with occasionally finding a random patch that conveniently spawns in a branch of the maze where no train-line needs to pass through (or can be routed around etc).
But like I said, was wondering if there is maybe a way to get more consistent and/or aesthetically pleasing results :)

Thanks!

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Sounds like I'm going to have to rebalance mod resources for 0.17 -- don't think this was a problem in 0.16. But all the extra stuff of Mad Clowns is tough to balance -- rather masochistic combined with Ribbon Maze.

Those extra random patches are down to RSO if I remember correctly -- it generates resources after Ribbon Maze. I suggest maybe either going Angels+Bobs, or if you want Mad Clowns just playing with RSO's resource placement, and unticking all the dead end resources in Ribbon Maze's map settings. So basically you just get a maze on top RSO resources. Maybe set RSO to be more generous -- maze corridors really add a lot of train distance ;)

5 years ago

Thanks, looks like it should be very doable with RSO taking care of the more exotic resources. Some might be quite a ride away, but having fun with trains is one of the main goals of this play-through, so that's hardly a reason to worry :)

New response