Ribbon Maze

by H8UL

The maze itself is destined to be automated.

Overhaul
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

g Really Awesome Mod

5 years ago

I have been playing with this mod for the last days and I have to say it is a great change of style. The game is the same but several problems change perspective. After a day I added LTN and this made the whole thing more enjoyable.

Pros:
- Very regular resource patches (you need a single blueprint for all patches)
- Oil is a grid, really awesome
- Train friendly. I did a huge line just to get to my first oil patch (which was not the first that was revealed)
- Ribbon world with many fronts. I a typical ribbon world you only have to fronts, and this is somewhat boring.

Both good and bad:
- The maze is built of 32x32 tiles (which match the game chunks). This is a bit small. It was frustrating in the beginning but now I love it. Not sure how to do big build. In the end the maze means you have infinite space, but in really small portions.
- Mangrove are complicated. I got the idea of infinite wood, but I did not bother since I still have plenty of wood.
- Landfill is really hard to get, you need 500C steam, that requires a nuclear reactor. On one side I'm frustrated, but it kind of made me give up breaking the maze.
- Water is only available on the bottom of the maze. This means all you water depend build will have to be place in the beginning space, or you will have to ship water around. To me it poses an interesting challenge.

Cons:
- Biter can be tough in the beginning. They tend do be very densely packed and attack in huge wave. They also hop through maze walls (while the bases are preparing a wave, these wave can jump walls).
- A lot of blue prints are useless since they are to big (Solar arrays)

5 years ago

Happy New Year, glad you're finding it interesting!

You've described the challenge of the small maze size perfectly. I needed to advertise better when I made the mod, what a challenge it would be. When I called it Ribbon Maze it was inspired by "ribbon world" challenges, and they seriously force you to approach your factory differently. In fact, the classic ribbon world is 11 tiles wide, just tall enough for a rocket silo! So while Ribbon Maze supports vanilla recipes, it by design doesn't let you get away with reusing vanilla base layouts and blueprints. I think if a mod radically changes terrain generation, then it should have a substantial gameplay effect. So the more people find the default 32x32 size causes headaches, the more I see the mod as successful :D

Landfill and terraforming are meant to be a late game resource sink, about as challenging as launching a rocket. I actually think, it's probably still a bit less complicated to terraform than automating a rocket, except the recipes are much less familiar to players. Of course, many people never get around to launching a rocket even after hundreds of hours of gameplay! So I suspect it'll be quite common for terraforming to be neglected. I'm ok with that as long as people are enjoying the maze layout.

The idea behind using the super-heated steam is twofold. One, is it's actually based on a real industrial process! Steam-exploded wood fibres are used to create advanced composite materials. In the real world, nuclear power isn't needed, but steam >100C is. The other more important reason, is gameplay. Many players opt for solar power in late game to avoid the UPS cost of nuclear reactors, so that whole aspect of the game is often neglected. The recipes for terraforming don't need the same sort of scale for fluid handling as would be needed to run a megabase on nuclear power, so the UPS issue shouldn't be significant. So what this means, is it's an opportunity to use nuclear in your base and get something in return, even if you're using solar. 0.17 should make fluid handling better for UPS, so maybe we'll see more nuclear reactor use in large bases. In which case, there's still an interesting option to tap off some of that steam to make the geocomposite materials.

Biters are definitely the weak point of the mod. They bunch up because they are struggling to path through the maze. Maybe, when 0.17 introduces more modding support for units, I can come up with a dedicated "ribbon maze enemies" mod that can be added on to make them better suited to the maze. I've also been testing out other enemies mods, but there are a lot of combinations to try.

The issue of biters hopping through walls concerns me... Sounds like a bug somewhere. I can't imagine how they could do it, given they have the "player" collision mask, and the maze collides with more things than water. Do you have any mods installed that change biter behaviour, like Rampant, Natural Evolution, or Bob's Enemies?

New response