Ribbon Maze

by H8UL

The maze itself is destined to be automated.

Overhaul
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

g Linear Ore Scaling

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I have been messing around with the Ore settings, and eventually (to me) at some point it scales real quickly and you get into the millions fast. Since ore patches are more regularly spaced in the maze I would love to be able to set it to scale linearly.
Something like:

Starting Value:
Increment_by Value:

in the mod UI

Example ( Starting=200 , Increment_by=200)
The first copper patch (closest) would be 200k, then the next furthest patch would be 400k, then 600k, 800k, 1m. It would be the same for each ore type. The closest iron would be 200k, then 400k, 600k, 800k, 1m, etc.

I want to be encouraged to explore the maze farther. Once you get to 50 million ore patches you just don't need to keep going. The combination of the linear scaling, the more even distribution or ore patches, plus Mining productivity research I feel would be a really fun way to keep going further.

I am looking in the mod files where I could make these edits myself, but no luck yet. Any suggestions where, or if there is an easy place to make this change in the mod file itself?

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I certainly appreciate the desire to explore the maze. But I think for it to make a difference it'd become a grind to relocate outposts; I've explained why resource richness works the way it does in the FAQ, "Why are resources so rich? Can I lower them?"

What you're suggesting sounds simple but isn't readily possible. You won't know the 1st,2nd,3rd..Nth. closest resource to spawn, unless you do something like a breadth-first search, which undermines the efficiency of the maze algorithm (uses constant memory and cpu for a given width). Which is why I don't do an RSO-style region. You could just set them in order of appearance in the maze, but that would undermine a different aspect of the maze resource richness (it's based on the corridor, not just where the resource sits, so a resource in the bottom left corner will be richer if you have to get to it from a long corridor going upwards).

Is there really a problem where you've run out of reasons to go into the maze? I can't imagine you've automated space science without going into the maze much for more room/resource throughput? If you did manage it, would you be willing to share your save?

5 years ago

That is fair, I have started a map and will see how far I can get. Sorry for missing the FAQ on this.

Yes, I could see the linear scaling not meshing as well with ore being based on the corridor. I was thinking of distance from Spawn as an easy work around, but it is all moot though if I really am not pushed further into the maze by the ore patch sizes. Throughput is going to be really different with those small patches . Will come back with an update. I have been enjoying the map a lot and plan on enjoying it for a while. Going to do my best not to use any landfill. MonkaS

5 years ago

No need to apologize! I decided to create the FAQ after seeing your post and having a few other players ask about resource richness on reddit. You didn't miss it :)

One thing that might add new reasons to go deeper into the maze; in future I want to generate "rooms" with more space to build as rare dead end rewards. Given how limited space is, and landfill is expensive, that'd be a really good reason to explore.

I'm the same as you, I am trying not to landfill if I can help it. Terraforming is still quite helpful so that you can access water away from spawn. Have fun! :)

New response