Ribbon Maze

by H8UL

The maze itself is destined to be automated.

Overhaul
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

i not enough space

5 years ago

Love this mod but i cannot build a decent base without expanding way too much.
It would be nice if:
-we can set up wide of corridor
-we got some larger space sometime
-we got some dead-end without ressource
just my ideas, i know modding is hard and somes request are not possible. Thanks anyway for your already really nice mod!

5 years ago

Cruel, isn't it? :-P

You might be interested in the "Clear start chunks" mod setting added in 0.6.5. It lets you clear an area around the player start location. It'll clear resources too, so I would advise maybe 1-4 chunks. It makes it so you can build more of a traditional base around the start area where the water is and there may be more ways into the maze as it clears away some walls.

Besides this, the intended way to make a larger space is terraforming. The maze terraforming project is very expensive and quite difficult: it's designed to be a late game challenge like advanced science packs and rocket launching. But the reward is you can break free of the limits of the maze!

5 years ago

Haha yeah it's cruel!

Indeed the clear start option is nice.
However, i still think it would be awesome to have some room to find in the maze, it's as if more rewarding than ressource and it make us exploring the maze further.
keep up the good work! :-)

5 years ago

OK, I have an idea for that...

5 years ago

Update: there is now a setting "Maze block size" to set the width of the corridor

I have some other ideas but I'm still trying to think through the gameplay aspects.

5 years ago

Awesome! Thanks a lot

5 years ago

I noticed the sizes are all powers of two. Would it be an option to have a corridor width of whatever size? (within a reasonable range of course)

5 years ago

The maze is "chunk aligned", so multiples of 32. While that means you can't fine-tune the corridor width, it allows for a bunch of optimizations in maze and resource generation, and is quite nice for trains. It helps trains in two ways. First, railways can only be put on even tiles. And second, chunk aligned blueprints makes it really fun to make building block blueprints for railways. Here's an example: https://factorioprints.com/view/-Ko4Un71BhDDTUvorRv5

New response