Off World Shipping Co

by Nebri

This mod randomly generates a shipping order that must be blasted off into space using the rocket silo. Each time you complete the shipping order, a new one will be generated with a slightly higher demand. The idea was to give your mega base something infinite to work towards. Please report any issues / bugs on the github issue tracker. I will do my absolute best to resolve any concerns.

6 years ago
0.15 - 0.16

i Package extension mod or rocket-based recipes

5 years ago

I had an idea for an add-on / extension to Off World Shipping Co that I'd like to see happen and would be willing to code if i may. Not sure what your vision for this mod is, but my idea would essentially include hooking into the list of enabled mods, forming, say, 20-40 recipes for packages that have a rocket-output result, and limiting certain items behind rocket-launch-based crafting.

Also had an idea to ask if there was a way to enable a reward type output based upon either the packages launched or the shipping order level. One method i hoped to implement for advanced crafting would essentially be "20 level tokens" + other items = crafted recipe + X-recipe tokens (either the same amount or a decremented count). If the count was decremented, the player would receive N-amount of level tokens for each level they achieve (at level 5, they'd have 1+2+3+4+5 tokens they could use for some advanced crafting. )

Ideas include requiring beacons to be crafted either directly by rocket launches, or by spending tokens gained from completing x-levels.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

each package type would be based upon the presence of a mod:
ideas were like: Darkstar utilities would have : a package of 100 computers
Crafting Efficiency mod would have a package of 1000each(circuit,cable,gear,advanced circuit)
Logarithmic Science Mod would have a package of 10each science = science package which would be added to the game's recipe for a satellite.
Bob's modules would have a package of modules that override the recipes for the raw-productivity modules (to force those to require rocket launches).

I had a bunch of ideas on how to hook into bob's mods or angels' mods for package creation or recipe-altering.

I was thinking of calling the mod More Rocket Results, but the idea of level tokens would have to hook into Off World Shipping Co, and i really like the idea of using those as a sort of currency.

5 years ago

another idea was to simply have each type of package result in a token of some sort, if it wasn't possible to do level-dependent crafting. and then add those tokens to the cost of crafting some of the mid-to-late game content.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

(i've played with this mod long enough to have built a circuit that auto launches rockets and completes shipping orders automatically, using the shipping order receiver and about a dozen combinators, it is also able to halt OWSC-based rocket launches to launch standard satellites or do other tasks. combined with the crafting combinator mod, it's basically a self-contained super silo lol)...the only caveat is the number of rockets i have to launch is directly proportional to the stacksizeBonus of my stack-filter-inserters.

and since i've determined the rocket silo can be fully, and correctly automated, i thought adding other things (other things that the rocket silo is needed for) would be a great way to make the game playable for longer.

Your mod was just the first that sparked the idea that it was possible. I've wanted to hook into the rocket silo for awhile and add recipes that it can be used for, and you're about halfway there already

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

another idea was to make the extension/recipe mod idea i had to simply add more package types and those packages would either be needed in crafting recipes, or would be converted into coin by the silo, the coins received would either be based upon what packages were sent and how many (or additionally, bonuses for your level)---then those coins are consumed by other crafting recipes.
Or say there's several different coin types, and the cheapest coin is one that can be directly made in an assembler from packages: those coins must then be spent to craft science packs.
A second tier coin being made either by science packs + other resources, or fluids, or requiring satellite launches

A third tier coin received based upon the level of shipping you've gained (you gain X*n coins of this type where X = your level, and n is some multiplier. this means you get very few early on, but many more later on)... these coins would be required for some of the blue-circuit level items, and almost anything that requires bob's purple circuits.

and a fourth type of coin minted from all the previous tiers combined, perhaps. idk

If there is no way to hook into what level the player is at and base the rocket result on that, i could set it up so each package is worth a single type of token, and you simply get more tokens per rocket launch because you are sending (and thus: receiving) more tokens per rocket as the shipping level increases

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

One of the reasons i like the idea of this is because it is a great way to add balance to a game that has "crafting effiency mod" or "bob's modules", or other things. I've already tested the ability to base a recipe on a startup-config value of a mod that may or may not be present, so i know that bit works.

5 years ago

so far, i'm able to create recipes for packages, give your packages and mine a rocket-launched result, but not able to hook into "global.shippingCoOrderIsComplete = check_order_complete()" or the current shipment level to issue coins to user based on the level, not sure if that's even possible from my end.

5 years ago

so turns out, control.lua can't access the global data table, combined with the info i got from http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Data-Lifecycle.html
it seems my original idea and approach isn'tpossible.

I may figure out another way to make a rocket-based-crafting mod but it wouldn't work as a dependency to yours. i can't inject package types/recipes into the array of packages requested, and can't hook into the order system to give players rewards. not as a separate mod

Sorry if i wasted your time reading through this :(

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Not at all my friend, my source code is available on GitHub for a reason.

my concern with a "reward" based system is what kind of "reward" would be good, that isn't simply raw materials. I've always liked what Factorio is already doing with limited resources and the forced continuous expansions.

Now instead of a currency, we could unlock more and more difficult recipes to craft and launch into this mod in the form of additional research! That would easily be attainable via creating our own science pack, and having the rocket silo return that as a reward. It also fits more in line with the theme of the game.

You can always branch off my source code and spin it into a mod of your own too! Just give me appropriate references to my base code. It's MIT license for exactly these reasons :).

5 years ago

the alpha (stable, but just a very early version) of the fork, More Rocket Results is up.
I went with the coin idea because when i started,i had an idea that different packages would be worth different types of coin (made of different metals). For now, each of the package_result coins has a rudimentary recipe (it'll be disabled later most likely) just so i could force the coins to show up in the crafting window and see what they look like and check their usages in FNEI. Right now, only bob's modules has had any integrations work done. the platinum coin, however is only gained (increasing amounts as levels and shipping costs increase) by completing deliveries. This direct-insertion to the player's inventory comes at a sort of cost though, it means an extra step if they want to use the item in automatic factory-based-crafting... either the player has to set it up to have all the platinum removed by logistics bots and put into their factories for crafting, or they have to manually insert the coins into a INPUT chest for their factory's main bus or something like that. the screenshot shows how i tested the way the mod behaves a little bit as the shipping level increases. it's slightly logarithmic (you get more and more platinum as you complete more shipping levels) - the shipping level itself is considered into the equation, basically how many times you row a 3-sided die to arrive at the number of platinum coins you receive. And at the moment, the number of different-types of packages is too heavily weighted so a bit of tweaking is needed still. (for each type of package, it rolls n-times to add x-coins to players inventory. so a delivery request with only 1 type of package but 400 required will still yeild less than a delivery request with 3 types of packages but totaling less then 200 chests.

thought about having a science pack with item name/description called "The Merchant Pack/ The Science of Trade". Just haven't decided how to deal with the desire to have each package_type have a DIFFERENT rocket_result AND have a way to introduce science/technology as well as economy and such. One idea was to have one type of package yield the science packs, and seven others to yield different coins of different tier-elements, and to have a conversion_recipe for the coins to make it less likely the player will have to store millions of useless coin later on. and to use the coins as a crafting recipe for the science pack as well, to give 2 methods for getting the science (but perhaps ONLY if i forego with the minting ability for coins, to force the player to choose between using the coins to purchase/craft items, or use the coins to get additional science packs.

5 years ago

one idea was to have the Merchant-Pack be the rocket_result for shipping space-science back out. or to have 1000(any type of coin)+one space science = 2 Merchant packs. the (any type) being if i don't go with a method to convert coins between their different metals, and also don't make the minting recipes permanent.that way, it wouldn't matter if the requested_amounts of each chest don't even out, you'd be able to choose what type of coin you spend on the new science pack

5 years ago

or i could go the super-simple route, and remove all the coin_Results from the package_types... make them all give science packs, and then set up technology pre-requisites to require science done with the new science pack...i'd still probably keep the platinum coins in the fork though, as that was the original idea for the mod. Then just have to choose how much platinum each recipe locked behind the new science pack would cost.

New response