Noxys Waterfill

by _Noxy_

Various placeable waters. Very configurable.

Utilities
2 years ago
0.15 - 1.1

i Add to Landfill research

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Seems slightly weird that you can do this right out of the gate on a brand new map. I'd suggest adding it to the Landfill research so you unlock Landfill and Waterfill at the same time.

6 years ago

I initially didn't want to bother with research so I just made it available from the start.

Research might seem trivial but there are some considerations to make. For instance the many levels of recipe difficulty already gate the waterfill behind things like explosives or processing units.

Having research would mean putting the research in the right place so that unlocking the research for waterfill would at that point allow you to also craft it instead of needing to research more before you can craft it.

On its own this shouldn't be too much of an issue however when you consider common big mods like bobs mods the entire technology tree becomes different and new (usually more complex) paths of research unlocks would need to be considered.

I do want to add the options to add research for waterfill but it may take a bit due to the above mentioned considerations.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

The problem in my opinion is that the easy and normal recipe only require red science researches in order to make, and then nothing is stopping you from spamming motes extremely early. That's the defaults for the mod, so most will use those settings. I think easy/normal should match the original waterfill, and require red and green science to get started.

To accomplish that, I think you should just add it to existing Landfill research, and call it good enough. That way you at least need a fair amount of red/green science to unlock it when using easy/normal recipes. Like you said the Hard/Extra hard settings already limit when you can build them, so it doesn't seem worth it to move the research around. It could also potentially create problems if someone switches the recipe difficulty mid-game, as far as I know no other mod dynamically moves research around.

6 years ago

You raise good points. Originally the mod was just an easy no hassle waterfill without any bells or whistles extremely cheap to craft and no settings at all.

Now that it has grown a bit beyond that thinking about research is a good next step.

On the other hand waterfill is cheaty by itself no matter how expensive or time consuming the recipe (or research) is. Red and green science are easily achievable within your first hour or two if the game and even explosives aren't that hard to get to.

I do agree mostly. The current defaults are set to not deviate too much from the original intent which does make it cheap, changing that to a more expensive default might be worth it.

There are mods that used to move research around quite a bit (angels mods and bobs mods used to and may still do this). And yes this does cause issues when configs are changed however these configs or settings are startup settings meaning that they aren't too dynamic. Also it is entirely possible to fix most of these issues through the console since usually the issue is just recipes not being enabled.

Anyway I will look into adding research after looking into ways to make waterfill less deadly.

6 years ago

Now that I've added https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Noxys_Swimming as a way to prevent death I've also added research now in version 0.0.9.

Enjoy ;)

4 years ago

And I was very disappointed to see this when I downloaded it specifically for a Pyanodon's playthrough.... You know, where you have to build a base about the size of a vanilla rocket base just to even automate the green science it's locked behind.... should have added an option to disable the research or not or change it to red science.

4 years ago

Hi Tyru,

Instead of being disappointing you could simply ask for such a feature ... I'm sure the developer of this mod is fairly responsive ;)

New response