Natural Tree Expansion Reloaded deprecated

DISCONTINUED - every man and their dog has made a tree spreading mod, so download one of those. Trees spread naturally over time, they'll grow around anywhere the player visits, but only on grass and dirt areas, not concrete or any man-made tiles or sandy deserts etc. This originally was msakuta's mod, I'm simply making it work on newer versions of Factorio. Also I'll add a few new things too.

Tweaks
6 years ago

g Ecosystem stability

6 years ago

The trouble with this, other than the very fast growth rate, is that trees will take over the world given the chance!

To have forests (as a natural steady state), there needs to be something stopping continual tree expansion. This could be fixed areas of bad ground, it could be "dynamic bad ground" (e.g. trees make the ground under them bad, eventually killing themselves, but the ground becomes "good" again a while later β€” this might instead lead eventually to thin forest everywhere depending on variables).

Or it could be animals: e.g. biters start killing trees when there are too many trees in some area (to high density). But to prevent a "thin forest everywhere", the biters would have to target the killing, e.g. one biter randomly starts killing trees, then others kill more nearby trees.

Hmm, maybe you should get together with Veden and make this work with Rampant?

6 years ago

The rate does slow down and stop when it reaches 800,000 trees (can be changed in the config file)
I'm planning to have it kill trees in high pollution areas, also thinking about having medium pollution area trees get disease that could spread to nearby trees, that might work similar to the "dynamic bad ground" you mentioned.

6 years ago

What about MEGA factory maps? The entire game engine and CPU would croak under the mass of self replicating trees. :(

New response