Mountains deprecated

Place mountains over resources fields.

Content
7 years ago
0.13 - 0.14
Mining

i Variable coverage...

7 years ago

Would you be able to figure out a way to specify the odds that a field will be covered?

Say, set coverage to 95 in config.lua, and a field has a 95% chance of being a mountain?

The mountains are very handy to cover your flank while setting up defenses, but every now and then, having an uncovered (or partially covered) ore patch would be nice. :)

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

It's working by chunk so really the code know nothing about resources field themselves. It see a spot of mineral and add a boulder on it and between 5 to 10 smaller stone in a range of 3.

To make the code aware of the whole resources field and then put a percentage chance on it, I would have to do what the YARM mod do and check every mineral spot around the current one, one at a time. You know when you use the YARM calculator tool to select a field and then it map super slowly the whole field while the game seem like it want to die from heavy calculation. Expect in YARM you only clicked on one mineral spot. I would have to do that for every coordinate I found mineral at, for the whole map.. And that would be on the chunk generator event, not spread over multiple tick like YARM does.

That would kill the game i'm sure of it, so that why I didn't bother with this.

Add that to the fact I still wouldn't know if I have the whole field or if half of it is outside the generated chunk area. So I would have to check for that too. That just wouldn't work, sorry.

On the other end 10-20 fully upgraded red rockets can remove a mountain in seconds. So look into that if you're tired of mining rock ;)

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Maybe I could drop a few single lone deposit around the base of the mountains the same way I do the small rocks.. give them between 100-500 mineral and a 1/5 chance to drop. They will be covered by small rock but that would still be easier to mine than the mountains itself and help get the game started.

7 years ago

I get it, thanks... wasn't sure how you were generating the mountains, and that is indeed the least intensive method.

Perhaps be able to select/deselect in config.lua which ores to cover? Like, it seems kinda silly to have to remove a mountain in order to get to some stone or sand deposits. :)

Personally, if I was doing it, any single lone deposits I'd drop would never be more than 100. Think of it as just an indicator of what's there... yer walking by, find a rock, and think maybe there's more in there.

Perhaps, a config option to choose how far the small-rock field extends from the mountain/ore deposit? Frankly, I could do with it extending further out and being rockier... make it worse. :)

(I am tossing around an idea in my head for one of the mods I was interested in making, and using your mod with it, opens up additional possibilities for something else I can do with one of them... just gotta get around to actually making em. :) )

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Yeah I can see how sand would be a problem. What mod is that, homeworld?

7 years ago

oh, hell if I know now... I have 188 mods right now, and that one isn't one of the ones I have loaded atm... I swap em out a lot. :)

I'll probably keep using yours for a while, so I'll post something when an ore doesn't make sense to me.

One mod does come to mind, however, that might be a problem together with yours, tho...

Diffuse Resources https://mods.factorio.com/mods/erst/diffuse-resources

although... I might try them both together one weekend if I'm feeling particularly masochistic that day ^.^

-- Smoov

7 years ago

Yeah no that one will lead to some craziness, I don't recommend :D

7 years ago

To my surprise it actually work quite well.. my mod place mountain before the diffuse mod remove and place new deposit.. so you end up with mineral everywhere and mountain that don't actually cover any deposits but still look like normal instead of covering 100% of the map.

I'm gonna add this to the description lol.

7 years ago

that actually does sound pretty good...

now if there was something to replace the Harvesters (https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=18311) that I used to use, that would be perfect for Diffuse Resources...

Maybe one of these days when I get up to speed on modding, I'll tackle that mod (or probably a new one)

Seriously, your mod gives me a few ideas for a mod of my own that would work well with it.

-- Smoov

New response