Lily's Dark GUI

by DMBK

Factorio's default GUI is far too bright. This reskins all GUI elements to be up to 50% darker so that your eyes will have to suffer no longer!

Tweaks
11 months ago

g Some suggestion

11 months ago

Hi, i love this dark mod, but dark green color on buttons as "continue" etc feels wired as its looks like that button is inactive and unclickable. Im prefer to see original colors for buttons

11 months ago

I agree. Originally I was going to do that, but it just seemed a bit too off.
But! I think I have come to a good balance between the two, as of 1.0.1 buttons are only 25% darker to ensure they still pop out. I hope you like it.

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

I just tried this mod after seeing it pop up in the updates; I like it but I think a bit more work on this front is needed .Sliders are too dark and also have a "disabled" look to them, and Red buttons such as Exit/Cancel as well. Generally, all of the yellows/oranges Factorio uses (mouseover hilighting of buttons for example) become too dark and muddy with this imo. Sliders, checkboxes, highlights, etc.

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

I just tried this mod after seeing it pop up in the updates; I like it but I think a bit more work on this front is needed .Sliders are too dark and also have a "disabled" look to them, and Red buttons such as Exit/Cancel as well. Generally, all of the yellows/oranges Factorio uses (mouseover hilighting of buttons for example) become too dark and muddy with this imo. Sliders, checkboxes, highlights, etc.

Yeah, personally I found the modded research menu particularly depressing with its drab yellows and greens. I think I just got used to it too quickly and now in retrospect it looks rather gross and 'muddy'. A good dark theme should always seek to have a very clear contrast between different elements and their states.

For 1.0.2 I have applied the same logic that I used for the green buttons and elements and have extended it to elements of other colours as well.
I'm very happy with the way everything looks now, the colours that should pop out now do and I like the way it all looks. If there's any more inconsistencies you spot or if these changes aren't quite there yet, feel free to mention them here. :)

11 months ago

With each person having a preference of their own, maybe if you could add settings as a slider from 0% to 100% would please pretty much everyone.

In case you implement options, separate them like:

Background: 0%-------100%
Buttons: 0%-------100%
Sliders: 0%-------100%

Just an idea.

11 months ago

I think this is already looking a lot better after that update, but having some adjustable sliders would be great as CocaineTM mentioned. I think the issues I mentioned before were pretty much addressed though, but one thing I'm still noticing just poking through the game with it on now is the grey text on a grey background that shows up in menus mainly. This doesn't come up in-game as much as it does in menus, mainly when using train stations I think, but it's noticable how much harder this is to read than the bright white text used elsewhere. (which has fantastic contrast against the dark backgrounds)

https://imgur.com/a/IJ3lKV2

New response