H2O

Combines water and steam into a single fluid - H2O.

3 years ago
0.15 - 0.18

i Closed Loop Steam Cycle

5 years ago

This mod seems like it's on its way to doing what I would love for water/steam to do here, and that's operate in closed loop systems.

One of my biggest pet peeves in Factorio has been that you need to pump absurd amounts of water in order to produce the steam needed to run power generators. I would LOVE to see power entities that don't consume steam and vent it into the sky, but take in steam, step it down as it uses the energy to make power, and kick out hot water. Hot water I can then send in a closed loop back to a boiler.

Definitely would be nice to make single or double looped heat-exchanger systems.

It would also go nice along side the mod 'Water as a Resource'.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

yes, that would be really nice ...
it would solve my current problem in a waterless and wood/coal/oil-less desert world where i start with only a small stack of wood (to kickstart greenhouses) and use the ice ore mod to produce water. water for all normal uses is plentyful enough (eg water for greenhouses, sulfur, acid, cooking, etc), but as soon as i need to smelt ice to get water for power production and then vent the cool steam instead of recycling it (or at least some part of it) i start using almost as much power (or maybe even more power?) for ice smelting and to heat the greenhouses (to produce wood->coal->oil) as i get from using that water in steam engines. Increasing wood production by using fertilizer in greenhouses is no option either since those processes and machines would use up even more wood (to make coal and oil) which in turn needs more power for more greenhouses, which in turn needs more water and more ice smelting ...

closed loops (or at least partially closed loops) would be a great help, reducing greatly the need to get more fresh water (i currently have solved the problem by cheating: stone water wells are allowed to get water for free, only for power production). it already would help if all (or most of) the steam in steam engines would go to "cold steam pipes" (can steam engines be modified to input hot steam on one end and output cool steam on the other, instead of forwarding unused hot steam in a chain of steam engines ?), from there to cooling towers to get to <= 100 degrees (and thus turn back into hot normal water) and finally be usable again instead of having to produce ALL the water again.

ps: i also tried using KS power generators which produce steam directly from fuel (without need for water), but that also feels cheaty and at 50% efficiency of normal boilers it also uses too much fuel (which has to be produced from more greenhouses, thus need more power, for just another vicious cycle)

New response