Greenhill Bible

For private use only.

6 years ago

g Did you know

6 years ago

Did you know, if i download this and wont get any virus? at least till i open the file?
There is no way since windows vista++ .. windows 7 and upwards i have for SURE you can put a virus with autorun and he wont trigger unless you open it...

So b4 all of the ppl start to be afraid of any virus inside ... there is many ways to check it ... a winrar can't trigger a virus ... the inside could tho... also there is a virus total which can scan by a URL too ... please wtf if none of you tested this mod why the hell judge it?

6 years ago

Because i don't think that someone test anything that hasn't a minimal description that says what adds.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

To be a virus, it needs to be executable in one form or another. An executable is anything your computer or a program on your computer executes as code. This could be a .exe, .bat, .dll, .msi or various other extensions. There are other types of virus which do not rely on executable code, but instead rely on the power of the program running already. A good example of this would be macro worms executed inside MS Word or MS Excel. The worms had no power, unless opened and run inside the macro program. They didn't do much though, except spread, like a worm.

Factorio mods, on the other hand, is largely created with a scripting language. While it could certainly do some crazy things, it cannot (CANNOT) do anything that factorio cannot already do. A factorio mod could easily wreck havoc inside your factorio world, it could corrupt your save data, it could probably even mess with enough code that you might have to reinstall factorio.

But it cannot do anything that factorio cannot already do. Factorio cannot execute code that spreads through your system, so a factorio mod could not do that either.

As long as you are only downloading the .zip file from this website, and all you do is deposit that file inside your %appdata%/factorio/mods folder, there's nothing that can hurt you.

6 years ago

precisely! wow so satisfying to read!