Factorio Randomizer

Replay the vanilla game with randomized recipes, for a new and exciting learning process every time you play.

Tweaks
4 years ago

g very interesting mod

4 years ago

This really tests the skill of more experienced players. I remember going from 0.16 to 0.17 and having to adjust things to see what new items we need in order to make blue/purple potions and such. This is similar. It takes me out of my box of comfort zone, and forces me to try out some new items that I would've otherwise never used before. And It makes me adapt and come up with new factory designs in an active way rather than just doing copy-paste blueprints.

I'll try out the mod later and give some feedback

4 years ago

I'm not sure if this is monitored, but in short I gotta say... very few items seem a bit too cheap, many don't even need access to oil... but many items are WAY too expensive. And overly complicated. It feels like I need 3 times more types of items than in vanilla. For example in vanilla you mine iron ore, you smelt it into iron plate, you smelt it into steel and turn that into steel chest. But in this mod I need about 10-15 different ingredients. stone turned into bricks, coal, copper ore turned into copper plate and coal.

Having bob's mod to streamline wood is a must. And a big problem is the underground belts... jesus they're expensive, and I only get 1 from crafting them instead of 2 like vanilla, same for underground pipes.

Call me slow as hell but after 13 hours on a decu scenario, I didn't even attempt to automize anything because it's too intimidating.

It would probably be a lot easier to just put blue/green chests with logistics bots everywhere...

4 years ago

I agree with you, I really made a simple approach to making the recipes, by making them into tiers, and just allowing all items to take a random number of items from previous tiers.

I also just ignored things like fluids and other machines, so everything that is randomized is just made in an assembler. It will take more work (and learning by me) to get other things like that working.

I do want to try and tweak the balance of it, and make objects like the underground things craft in pairs, but it's not as simple as just changing a number, I basically have written a program that wrties the mod for me, so each object is written by going through the same for loop.

P.s. I can try to fix this with an if statement or something, but it will make the code spaghetti as bad as my base spaghetti ;)

New response