Colonists

by jonkeda

You are not alone on the planet. Hundreds of pods have crashed on the planet and people are waiting to be saved. And you will need to keep them warm, fed and under a roof. Or they will get unhappy.

3 years ago
0.16 - 1.0

g How Does This Mod Work??

3 years ago

The way the mod works appears to have changed from the mod description and pictures. Can you please update them with a detailed guide on how to get started with this? None of my machines are working and this is a bit frustrating.

I'm playing in Sandbox. I can't seem to do anything with the structures in the Colonists tab.

3 years ago

As of 0.27.0 version you need to build house, heat and have some food in it. Without food in the house nothing will work. One house can support few 'manned' structures.

Dont know how many houses is needed for those electric structures. Since as i mentioned in other discussion i play with TradeRouteOverhaul mod and with this latest version nothing worked. Even if i have build 9 houses and fed them all. ( think 120+ assembler machines from start not-manned )

The concept is good, but it need some work or tweaking. Like the cosumption of food moved to few minutes.

3 years ago

the houses do not accept food input

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Kaio_ are you sure you have downloaded the same version that i have downloaded from here ?

I have tested Sandbox mode as you have. ( even i dont play this type much )
I have maxed out the Food distributables (apple/orange trees, cereals ... ) So you have among other trees also these ones that gives food.
Also you can check if you have Food Industry active within mods, it can be that some dependencies may have been disabled.

You can colect these even without the character present. In case you dont have these type of trees try play without cheats.

Anyway, I was able to place house, heat generator and place some Apples in it and it worked in my game.

Edit:

I have done one more testing, and it worked fine.
Problem is as i mentioned earlier without food in the house nothing work, not even inserters. So the first food you get you need to insert manualy.

3 years ago

Hi Sindelin. Thanks for your comments.

Would you want to contact me? I would love to hear your idea's to make this mod better. jonkeda_at_hotmail.com

Sandbox isn't really the thing for this mod. The tension to keep the colonists alive is part of the "fun". At least I hope so.

regards,
Daan

3 years ago

Hi Jonkeda,

Okay, i will be contacting you it will be from #gmail.com adress.

I just need complile whole A4 letter of ideas. The theme will be why do not make simple as it gets ?
Here are some small mods that you/we could take advantage of. I will mention them all.
I am not into modding that far as others here are, I can only delete things :)

regards,
Samo

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

As I said, the houses do not accept food input. I start a world, put down some solar panels, put down a house, connect an electric heater, grab some cabbage or lettuce and try to manually put it in. I simply get "cannot smelt this item"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 years ago

Kaio_ you are playing it wrong or something.

As I said in my previous replys it worked for me. In a Sandbox mode you dont get starting items which will include a house, colonist and heater. The heater is not that minimized electric generator but one small block that accept wood, coal. The house accept Heat as fuel, Food as input recipe, output is compost.

But anyway, I have sended Jonkeda my version of Colonist and proof of concept, but no word from him since, so i dont know.

3 years ago

There are two variants of the heater, and one is electric. The house HAS heat, the sun icon shows up and the bar fills up. Is there supposed to be a gear icon for choosing specific recipes? because that isn't showing up on my UI either and I can't put food in. I'm not even getting the little colonists status bar at the top like in the pics.
The screenshots really should be updated, they're for version 0.16.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Kaio_ no comment.

No comment because you have all you need to know in this discussion. Yes the pictures does not reflect the curent state of the mod. As they seems to be from 0.16.x factorio.

The colonist as of 0.24.0+ changed. ( and maybe change further after next updates )

Edit:

Just to be fair. I have started New Freeplay game with the latest 0.28.0 version of Colonist to check if something changed.
It works as described in here.

New response