Caves

Adds a cave system to the game that contains the resources instead of the normal surface.

Content
6 years ago
Mining

g GIT Hub?

6 years ago

Do you have a github project?
I quite like where you are going with that mod and maybe contribute a bit :-)

6 years ago

currently i don't have one; i was considering it but at the moment time is a bit short on my side so i don't think i could maintain it well. (same actually for merging patches for features; it's going quite slow on my side)
if you/bitbased/anyone wants to push the mod forward or in a different direction, maybe forking would be a better option

6 years ago

Github might allow us to make better patches, so you wouldn't have to re-do as much. But I understand lack of time :-D If you wanted to put the mod up on github just as-is then if MrFaul or I fork it, it can later be merged back upstream easily.

6 years ago

A fork still needs a initial repo.
So if you don't have much time to maintain you still could make a dev branch where you give somebody else the possibility to merge pull requests.
After all GitHub was build for user management you still would have alone authority over the release branch.
But we need a central point to collect anything because I get a feeling that there are already big differences in the actual code bases between us.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

the problem is that merging pull requests is only a small portion of the work, as it is almost fully automatable using standard tools. the main issue is that due to a lack of unit testing for mods, paired with lua not being not typesafe, i have to verify every line extremely thorougly; this is roughly as time-consuming as if i write the line myself. i don't even know if it is syntactically correct before i try it, don't know if it solves the normal use cases due to lack of testcases, and especially have to go through each possible corner case too. combine that with an infinite large amount of mod configurations (e.g. do i have the same mods as the author? what mods do all the users have?) and migrations from older versions...

i think pulling in new features is not feasable for me, i don't want to frustrate you with slow feedback or false hope here. a proof of concept that something is possible is a different manner though. It gives me a different point of view and shows options i maybe didn't even knew about before.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Makes sense ... one small request, could you normalize the whitespace in your next release so that it will be easier to manually merge your changes into my local ones (a good scheme is no whitespace on empty lines, and git likes an empty line at end of file, spaces vs tabs is a whole other discussion, lol) :-D

6 years ago

right, noticed that mess too :)
in 0.1.6 i already switched to 4 whitespaces instead of the mix of tabs/2 spaces/4 spaces everywhere (unless i missed it somewhere)

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Yep, still some spaces at the end of some lines, but mergeable now without git complaining!

New response