Bob's Power Fix for Angel's

Allows the oil burning power entities to accept Angel's fluids instead of Bob's fluids.

4 years ago

i Hydrogen & Hydrazine - Balance

4 years ago

Hey. Really like the idea, but I think that allowing Hydrogen to power oil-burning entities is extremely unbalanced. The reason is that methane and hydrazine take quite some infrastructure to produce (especially hydrazine) so there is some sort of cost to use them. Same for fuel oil and naphta - they can only be produced near a multiphase oil source, unless you go through the long way which first is only unlocked quite far in the game and secondly requires some infrastructure too.

Hydrogen though? You need nothing but a bit of water/a pump from Bob's and an electrolyzer. That's pretty much the recipe for infinite, conditionless energy.

As for hydrazine, I didn't actually test the mod yet, since I have a little issue with your thorium mod and omnimatter crystals, but that's another subject. Did you make it compatible with all the oil burning entities? If that's the case, what of the hydrazine power generator? It would kind of lose its purpose (apart from the slightly increased power production compared to an oil burner 3).

4 years ago

Hydrogen is allowed by default in normal Bob's power and has the same power values I have here, so I thought I would make it the same. At the moment, 60 H2 per second translates to 2.7MW of power, and by testing in creative, producing that much hydrogen per second costs roughly 1.4MW if you use level 1 machines, so it is only a net power gain of 1.3MW, which seems reasonable to me.

I don't think I can avoid the "hydrazine works in any oil burning generator" problem, as the devs have said they will not add a way to have multiple filters on a fluidbox. I have not tested it, but I am pretty sure that the same problem you mentioned would still occur in just regular Bob's mods. I will consider adding an efficiency bonus to the hydrazine generator to make it so you actually want to use it.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

After actually testing the mod I stand corrected. I didn't realize that using H2 wouldn't allow an Oil Generator to produce its maximum output. I thought that it would simply consume much more fluids per second, like a boiler for instance.

So, for 10 Oil Generators 3, it's:
- 2,7 MW (Hydrogen)
- 20,4 MW (Hydrazine)
- 35 MW - max (Fuel Oil/Naphta/SynGas)

So yeah, since it works that way and not like boilers, you actually need a whole lot of Oil Generators to get anywhere with Hydrogen. Without even taking into account the production cost you mentioned. So, as you say, that's reasonable and once again, I stand corrected.

What's more, it's great to power oil boilers.

But at the same time, it's great to power oil boilers. And turbines. Which circumvents the inherent limitation of oil generators. (But that's anyone's business to decide if they want to exploit such flaw or not.)

About Hydrazine, I meant it the other way around actually. It's a good thing that it can be used everywhere. (Wouldn't make much sense otherwise, since it has a fuel value.) But…

It's a massive pain to produce, and even more so massively enough to power a factory.

Despite that, its fuel value is much, much lower (340 KJ vs 1,5 MJ) than something easily produced (Naphta/Fuel Oil and depending on whether or not you're using SynGas loop, SynGas). So the only saving grace would be the Hydrazine generator. But even then, I wouldn't imagine myself going out of my way, producing Hydrazine (with its resource/power/infrastructure cost) just to get a theoretical gain of 0,5 MW per generator.

Crude Oil

Crude Oil is less refined than Naphta and Fuel Oil, but has a 1,9 MJ fuel value which is actually higher. So perhaps some incentive to use Fuel Oil/Naphta might be needed. (Well, you can use both, coming from crude oil, to power generators so it might not be needed. Just wanted to bring that up in case you wanted to do something with it.)

4 years ago

I'm not sure if I want to tackle balance issues with this mod, I just wanted to fix the fluid issue and be done with it. If it's something you want, I can consider it.

4 years ago

I don't mind it at all personally. I just wanted to bring that up in case balance was actually a concern of yours. Since it's not the case, you can just dismiss that whole thread.

But if you are so inclined, I suppose that a higher fuel value than the rest for hydrazine would make sense. That would reflect the hassle to produce it, and justify its usage in the most performant oil generator.

An alternative option, once again if you are so inclined, would be to have these values configurable as a startup setting - this way, anyone could tweak them according to their modpack/personal preferences. Because let's be honest, even if you wanted to balance it yourself, it would only remain so with a given modpack - and even with that modpack (BobAngel) it could be unbalanced depending on settings. (Looking at you, BobModules!)

4 years ago

Hi,
i have noticed the same inbalance. and it would be creat if this mod could fix it :).

There shouldnt be an net power output out of water electrolyse and burning hydrogen.
In normal PEM electrolysers you can get power to hydrogen efficiencies of roughfly 80%. Considerung a 30-40% efficiency in the whole heat to power process a overall efficiency of from 24-32%. So instead of gaining 1.3MW out of an input of 1.4 MW (efficiency > 190%) it schould be a netto energy loss of roughly 1MW.
Although the Fuel Value for fuel oil is overpowered, since angels-process considers to use it, to produce solid fuel, wich looks the following:

1x coke + 50x fuel oil = 2 solid fuel
now: 675 kJ + 50x 1.5 MJ -> 2x3 MJ

I suggest a fuel value of 100 kJ for fuil oil insted. Than you get:
675 kJ + 50x 100 kJ -> 2x3 MJ

Thanks and best regards. Great Mod btw.

New response