248k Mod

Advance through 4 stages of tech. Start with simple machines and work your way through nuclear fission and fusion up to black and white holes, in order to tame the 248k Element. This mod is designed to be playable in already existing worlds since it changes nothing on world generation. Can be played as a standalone mod or in overhaul mode.

Overhaul
2 months ago
1.0 - 1.1

b Black and white hole generator

1 year, 1 month ago

Hello everyone,

I've been playing this mod with a friend of mine for a while now.
we are at the stage that we have a black hole generator running continuously for an hour or so until we run out of stabilizers.
in our game the black hole generator generates 60 TW. we want to multiply the stabilizers in a white hole generator.

however when we connect multiple white hole generators to the grid, our power from the black hole generator drops to 1.2 TW instead of 60 TW.
is this a bug or intentional? does anyone have the same issue?

like to hear from you all!

1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah the black hole device generates at 1.2TW but has an internal buffer that will drain at the rate of 60TW. It's like how having a lot of accumulators will tell your factory there's a lot of power available even though there's not that much electricity being generated.

Bottom line though, is that one constantly running black hole generator will satisfy one constantly running white hole.

1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah, I'm trying to use black/white holes as well, but the math just doesn't seem to pencil out. Especially with learning that you can only run one white hole per black hole - the resources it takes to make matter stabilizers is way more than anything you can get from a white hole in the equivalent rate at which the stabilizers are used. Unless I'm missing something. Like it looks like you need a blue inserter running feeding matter stabilizers constantly to keep the black hole at correct power...so that's like 1 stabilizer/second. And it takes like 10 seconds at least to make one item in the white hole, my plan was to replicate space ore (which makes 2 crushed ore which can make 8 stabilizers) but I'd need like 10 white holes to make it fast enough I think. And that doesn't even include the fusion tech and energy crystals you need for the stabilizers (although those you can make unlimited from star engine stuff so not a big issue). Anyway, curious if there's some gap in my understanding. I never got into using the beacons much. Maybe that's where my gap is, but it didn't look like the beacons affect white holes or the machine that makes the matter stabilizers, so not sure if those would help with the stabilizer throughput issue. I realize Preley isn't maintaining this mod anymore, but I've really enjoyed it, so hoping to still beat it at some point. For now maybe will just expand my rocket production a whole lot to make the space ore without the white holes.

1 year, 1 month ago

The exotic ore crushing does accepts Gauss modules, but that doesn't help a whole lot. I haven't got this far myself yet to really dig into it, but yeah, looks like there really aren't that many outputs worth the effort of white hole generators. I wouldn't expect beacons to affect those generators, they'd end up crazy busted strong.

I think my other balance feedback about the black / white hole generators is the research balance. It takes soooooo much research to unlock them, then there's comparatively not that much more to be done with the new tricks in the process. IMO the generator techs could cost half as much as they currently do, the subsequent techs 2x their current numbers. Even though this is an increase in total research needed, it'd shift what feels like the big research check away from the "middle" of the endgame & more appropriately towards the conclusion.

1 year, 1 month ago

I thought about it more and am realizing, maybe the intent for the white hole is to make the second copy of each element as you work your way up the tree. So assuming they copy elements - then you make the first one or each flavor, start up your white hole to duplicate it and then move on to the next element. If it stops being enjoyable, then I'll probably move on to Exotic Industries then instead of actually finishing 248 - no biggie...I enjoyed the rest of the mod up to now a lot so it's been fun overall.

1 year, 1 month ago
(updated 1 year, 1 month ago)

I am confused. If you're inserting stabilizers constantly with a blue inserter, that's way more than 1 per second. That's like 7 per second. If you have the best gauss modules on your crusher, then you need about 0.6 deep ore per second, which is indeed more than you can get from one white hole.

I checked with FNEI and yeah, white holes can duplicate the elements leading to 248k, but not the final element. That's a lot easier than trying to keep up with exponential demands at each stage... though that's viable too since you can stuff 6 gauss modules in a research fusor, resulting in +150% productivity. With over 100% productivity you get a free item before the first recipe finishes, allowing you to deconstruct the building to refund it! It's totally broken but that requires manual intervention of course. Or maybe Helmod is lying to me and I can't use gauss modules with those recipes; Helmod makes it look like I can put gauss modules in beacons so it obviously isn't 100% compatible with 248k.

New response