Biter Factions

Turns the once peaceful biters into different factions, warring for domination over Nauvis alongside the player. They will fight amongst themselves for land.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Enemies

g Rampant?

5 years ago

Does this work/interact with Rampant at all? Would be cool to see them being really intelligent, launching skirmishes and huge raids against each other, and then deciding fighting each other is costing them too much, and turning on a different faction or you.

5 years ago

With rampant on, they do more interesting stuff but I haven't seen evidence of them killing each other more than usual. Bigger swarms end up attacking the player, and more intelligently,but I think they are just drawn from one (or all!) Biter factions. Needs more testing and observations

5 years ago

Alright. About to start a new 0.17 game with this and Rampant (and about 60 other mods), so will keep you posted. :)

5 years ago

What about Rampant's new enemies? When I enable them, it just spawns vanilla enemies.

5 years ago

That's a start of game option only I think.. mod settings page tick boxes

5 years ago

Yes.

5 years ago

Well it should work. Can't see why it wouldn't.. all my mod does is reassign the force of the biter units and nests. If rampant changes the spawn tables or entities it would still work and my script would just change the forces again. Might be worth asking the Rampant mod author about if you still don't see it working

5 years ago

Ok I will ask him.

5 years ago

Also, his mod doesn't just add new enemies, it replaces them.

5 years ago

it's possible that my mod breaks some of Veden's code by changing the forces like I do, he probably has a lot of 'find entities filtered' with force = "enemy" hard-coded in there, which won't work with my mod as the force = "biter_faction_1 ... 5" instead

5 years ago

Also I loaded a new map and the new enemies spawn in the starting zone, but nowhere else.

5 years ago

Well, I'm still very very early in my game, and with Alien Loot Economy installed, i see that biter kills are going up when they're not attacking me, and at this point, I've also been hit with a few rampant mini-swarms rushing in to attack me, backing off when i kill a few, and coming back around, so there's definitely some working interactions, but again, i'm still very early in.

5 years ago

Veden said: "Currently Rampant expects and uses the "enemy" force for detection and command and control only.

Biter factions could probably be made to work, but would be a small performance hit for Rampant even if you aren't using the biter factions mod."
So yes, it uses the vanilla "enemy" team, which, as far as i see, only spawns in the starting area. I used creative mode's (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/creative-mod) super radars, and everything is vanilla, except that 1 base in the starting zone (or veeeery close to it).

4 years ago

Adding to this discussion: Does this work with rampant's expansion?
Asking because while i have not tested this mod yet, when i tested the code for enabling the AI for other forces (i have been looking for this for a while!), it seemed as if rampant overrides expansions, spawning them on the normal enemy force rather than the custom forces, causing the expansion group to suicide instantly if it creates a worm (in the case of a force which is hostile to the enemy). We usually just simply play with vanilla enemies with rampant AI only so i'm not exactly sure if this is because of the new enemies or just rampant simply changes expansions, i only have been able to figure out that it's caused by ramapnt.

4 years ago

the struggle for the survival of the strongest (strange interpretation of natural selection) is without logical order.
so we regularly see two "groups" killing each other until the last
without strategy.

the idea will not be that faction work for the eradicatino of another?

as the nation of fire that will work against that of acidic bitter

or the neutral who "will be allying" with another nation.

4 years ago

@LDani2001 , the Rampant AI mod scripts will all use the "Enemy" force, the Biter forces are all custom named and will not come under the Rampant AI programming logic.

The Biter Factions biters will just follow Vanilla AI and expansion logic.

@Fr_Dae , the biters will kill each other until the last, when they first spawn. When the surviving faction is the only one in the base area, it will spawn biters to expand into area around them. They will fight other factions biters for expansion. They will ALL send biters to attack the player.

4 years ago

I'm not sure how Factorio handles different factions so might not be feasible, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a compatibility mod where you basically copy-paste the rampant mod and (optimistically) "simply" replaces "Enemy" force of each copy with "biter_faction_1", "biter_faction_2" etc. Thoughts?

4 years ago

bump :D

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Ask him to make a modified version of his script that looks for your faction names, and lock it behind a mod option or something.

4 years ago

@RenewU having a filthy copy of the Rampant mod replacing "Enemy" with "biter_faction_1" etc would work.

New response