Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

g Maybe some rectangular versions

6 years ago

2x2,3x3, 4x4 ( 2x3,3x2,2x4,4x2,3x4,4x3 ) would only be another 9 combinations... 48 wide chests?! I can't even imagine :)
I See you've often responded to dicussions here; do you just constantly check in hopes? Or is there some notification setup I've missed?

6 years ago

That would need big rewrite of code.
Also I don't know how would I generate sprites while looking good-ish. Maybe some 9 segmented textures, but mod size would go up very much.

I have this discussion page in one of my home pages and mod portal orders topics from newest comment so I just have to check first topic if it changed since last time I looked.

6 years ago

i thought this might be a fun mod to try switching it up from warehouse mod, but it will always be 1 tile wide or high depending on orientation so a 6 high 3 wide chest is not possible, but would be nice to have if you decide to allow for other configurations, a 13 high 6 wide would be very ideal, would allow for 2 trains to unload in one chest and i can pull from the 6 wide side. just a thought, thanks for the great idea

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I'd me more than happy to have a 2x2 chest with substandard graphics...lol. I think I saw one mod that had a 2x2 "pallet", but it did other things that I didn't like.

6 years ago

Even if I had the sprites needed the code rewrite will be massive. Entire mergin algorithm will have to be rewritten to correctly merge chests. When they were only in one row it was pretty easy. Then it got more complicated when I implemented merging of already merged chests. This would be even one step further.

I will think about how would I do it and if I figgure out solution I will implement it.

6 years ago

The problem is the limit where to stop. If i choose some limit there always be people who want more. So only solution is to make all combinations possible. That would require a LOT of new sprites. Around 220 to be precise and that would bump mod size to over 60MB.

6 years ago

i would make sprites for you if you could do the code, i can have them ready soon if youll do it

6 years ago

would be a useful upgrade to the mod, and it is a very useful mod as it is. thank you

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

It IS possible to generate sprites dynamicly. So about only thing I would need is nicely tilable sprite for 3x3 steel chest divided into 9 pieces (not actually divided, I just need coordinates where every part starts and ends). 4 corners that every chest would have, 4 edges that would be copied along edges and middle part that will fill inside area of chest. If you want to send me sprites i will use them if they will tile nicely.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

i was actually just gonna make a few (lol) super compressed sprites through gimp because i dont know code. but from what i can tell wouldn't it just be (1,-2)(-1,2)(2,-1)(-2,1)(1,2)(-1,-2)(2,1)(-2,-1)
or maybe (2,2)(-2,-2) so on and so forth

6 years ago

i misunderstood what you had said, i can make the sprites tomo and send them to you through something, do you have skype? i will include a single 3x3 sprite and also 9 1x1.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Oh I actually need 2x2 chest with exact coordinates from where to copy and paste. Only condition is that if I copy them to create any chest size it tiles nicely.

I don't know how much you are familiar with this technique but here is what I would need. If you are able it would be nice if you could increase resolution (if you creating the sprite from scratch). It should be able to create standard 1x1 chest if I stitch together all corner tiles. If I want 3x3 chest I would use all corners once, all sides twice and middle 4 times.

New response