Timesaver for crafting [Switchable mod]

Lost crafting time is compensated. Your craft speeds up depending on your craft activity. Anyone can translate the mod on Crowdin. https://crowdin.com/project/factorio-mods-localization

Utilities
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

i Your lib add too much bloat

1 year, 7 months ago
(updated 1 year, 7 months ago)

Your dependencies of switchable_mods and zk-lib add bloat, I don't like that cause I have already a lot of mod and this add a lot of mod option for nothing for me. Also, switchable_mods is quite opinion oriented as factorio is more a "restart" for add mod game, that a little unidiomatic for a factorio mod. It's also worst mentioning it's a little unexpected to have a mod that silently add mod that affect the game, you more or less break you trust of your user.

Just add one of your mod shouldn't add bloat. I advice to step back on this and follow KISS. This can be apply to most of your mod. Nice mod idea nonetheless thanks for the work.

1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you for your attention. You have pretty good awareness. Nevertheless, it makes things much easier to maintain for me and for mod devs. Also, If I am really going to make much bigger, and more complex mods etc., then I have to make it differently and use other tools to avoid Lua's limits.

It's also worst mentioning it's a little unexpected to have a mod that silently add mod that affect the game

Yeah, understandable, it was "worse" ~1 year ago, considering your words. However, it shouldn't "abruptly" affect player's experience much now, unless I didn't account for something (I'll remove some addons or all of them at some point anyway).

Also, switchable_mods is quite opinion oriented as factorio is more a "restart" for add mod game, that a little unidiomatic for a factorio mod.

I guess, players and mod developers etc. got used to more "monolith" concept, kinda. And that mod is optional, it doesn't make anything worse :)

1 year, 7 months ago

Also, if I'll separate some stuff, then I have to maintain twice more git repositories and I have to update pretty each repository instead of 1-2 usually.

1 year, 7 months ago

There's 1 strict exception. It's pretty hard to maintain Factorio localization in such ways in some cases.

1 year, 7 months ago

To be clear I don't mind the lib dep, I just mind the complexity the lib add, it's not a lib but a framework at this point, that a heavy dependency. I don't want my advice force you to change your way. That my opinion, I on linux side of "one thing do one thing", well, with some arbitrary flexibility, I don't mind some extra.

But from my point of view:

• read Timesaver for crafting feature - Nice look great
  • [Switchable mod] - what the fuck is that... ok a weird ad hoc mod, so this is kind of dynamic mod loader... look heavy. That like rewrite all mod system of factorio. It's a total different mind set.
  • try the mod
  • see this add ton of "addons" optional so more bloat that I expected
  • Fear this add too much for just minor feature
  • prefer to not use this

But that my personal opinion, I may not reflect majority and I could have miss understand something. Finally, that your mod, do as your wish.

1 year, 7 months ago

I could make "Switchable mods" differently, but, again, it would become really more bloated, but it'd be neater for players. Although, I could try all variants at once, but it'd be really bloated structure in some perspective. xD

I guess, it'd be much more convenient if players could turn on/off mods, without restarting the game. It'd be easier to try and use mods for them in such case. (I forced waiting ~1 hour to load the game and to play on a server at some point, although the reason in such case isn't really close to the topic)

Btw, I could just put the feature in the mod. However, It'd be harder to maintain and I'll lose the opportunity to share the feature for other mods. It doesn't require a lot of code for other mods.

1 year, 7 months ago

That like rewrite all mod system of factorio.

In short, from my perspective: the mod listens to 1 event, slightly modified 1 Factorio file, require creating a file in a mod with a simple data and others mods have to detect the mod and require the file from that mod which is simple for mod developers.
(though it creates other "events" and several additional similar fields for events, which mods should use more complex mods to avoid bugs and desyncs)

1 year, 7 months ago

majority

Sadly, I have no idea about majority. It seems like most of the players play singleplayer. There's no useful data. (some data on this site and polls is false) Not so many players play with mods.

New response