Skandragons Advanced Solar Extended

extended to add a 12GW Solar panel.

Content
5 years ago
Power

g Alternative to Nuclear?

5 years ago

This might be the answer to a problem I've been trying to address. Would you mind answering a few questions?

Background:
- I used all of the vanilla power generation methods.
- I particularly like nuclear power because once you set it up you can plop a 4-reactor plant blueprint, let your bots build it and in about 1 minute or 5 you added about 450MW generation capacity. And most of the materials can build themselves in assemblers while I do other stuff. By the time my low power alarm rings... I can simply repeat this process. Basically, the challenge is to setup things just right and then it become brainless and painless.
- But... it is well known that Nuclear doesn't scale and everybody recommends going solar due to its zero-hit on UPS. I am currently at 3GW consumption with spikes up to 4GW and I am hoping to continue using this map forever. So, hitting 10GW, 20GW or even 100GW at some point is likely.
- Since I prefer to handle problems in advance rather than wait until it blows up in my face and I would never put myself through the torture of using vanilla solar, I have been looking for the "right mod" to replace nuclear and I am hoping your mod might do the trick. (BTW, I am not familiar with Skandragon's mod at all although it is one that I had on my list to evaluate).

Questions:
- Does this mod require Skandragon's too? Or does it "include it"? Does it require any other mods?

• Do the various tiers are for both solar panels and accumulators?

• Am I correct in assuming that the assembly would go roughly "x Solar panels (or accumulators) + some stuff = tier 1 solar or accumulator", "y tier1 + some stuff = tier 2" and so on? Set an assembly chain... and forget it until you need to go pick up from chest (or have it delivered by your bots).

• Are the sizes of these advanced panels and accumulators the same as the original ones?

• Specifically about the 12 GW solar panel, does it have a companion accumulator that makes you go comfortably through the night? If yes, how many GW can you count on having available all the time from the pair? I am guessing it is a little over 6GW since you still get a little sunlight during the dusk and dawn cycles. Is that correct?

• Am I correct to assume that your mod will behave like a lot of regular solar panels and accumulators together and thus cause zero UPS degradation?

• Is the cost of all of the materials roughly equal (or maybe a small % more) as the cost of making the huge number of solar panels and accumulators that would produce the same amount of power?

Thanks in advance for your answers. If I can reliably get 6GW from one of your top tier solar panels and accumulators and the cost is roughly the same or just a little over vanilla for 6GW 24h... this will be the next best thing since sliced bread :)

New response