Pretty Fair Resources

Modifies the resource generation to fit a wider variety of playstyles without changing game balance. This mod makes resource patches much larger and less frequent as you go further from the origin. This is balanced to produce the same average amount of resources per land area as vanilla resource generation. This way, expanding in the late game does not require tediously mining out patch after patch.

6 years ago
0.15 - 0.16

g The effect of this mod

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I've found some monstrously big patches after using this mod.
Normally people migrate from the origin(10k+ tiles) when building a megabase.
With this mod,at the setting for largest patches(lowest frequency,biggest,richest),I migrated 4k tiles east and explored a 2kx2k area.I've found 3 patches in all.
1 is a coal patch,2.4G.
2 is a oil patch,~2M%.
3 is a coal patch,4.1G.
Each patch take up about 10x10 chunks of space.
I also have mods that add more ores but didn't see them spawn in the 2kx2k area.
Overall,this is a good QoL mod.

Further investigation shows that this mod is incompatible with RSO.
RSO mod can work with angel's infinite ores mod to make ore patches partially infinite.
The functions of rso and this mod are both great.So I want to install both the two mods.Not happening though.

Additional question:Does this mod prevent ore mixing?

6 years ago

Glad you like it!
Big patches as you get far from the origin is the idea. Sure, 4.1G is pretty darn big, but that is what you ordered with the settings. Did you mean that to be a criticism?

One of the things about this mod is that it makes exploration more interesting in the late game because there are so few patches, but patches are so valuable once you find them. You can adjust this feature by using the frequency setting. The lowest frequency means patches are the hardest to find but gigantic.

This mod should spawn the same ores that the vanilla map generation system spawns. I put a lot of effort into that. If it is not, please let me know what mod and what ore, and I will look into it.

RSO and PFR both override resource spawning, so in that sense they cannot be compatible. PFR can be turned off on a per-map basis, so you can have it installed but only active on some maps. In that sense, PFR is compatible with other resource generation schemes like vanilla and RSO. However, RSO cannot be turned off and you need to uninstall it to make it stop doing its thing. I looked into it and I do not think there is anything I can do about that.

It does not support ore mixing, if by that you mean ore patches that overlap. There are two reasons for this. 1: with patches this big and valuable, one overlapping patch can ruin a vast quantity of resources. 2: I have never actually enjoyed dealing with overlapping patches. What do you think?

(If you mean mixed ores like Bob's gems, then it does support mixing)

New response