Bob's Tech

Research expansion

2 months ago
0.13 - 1.1

g Any way to get the recipes of Bob's mods outside of the game?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hi there Bobingabout,

Enjoying your mods quite alot and I'm trying to get a grasp of the new complexity in the game.

Short and sound, I'm trying to make ratio calculators in excel and need some place(s) where I can find the recipes of your added content.

Any way could you help me find those? Most of the time I'm not able to look up the recipes ingame, otherwise I'd do that ofc.

Cheers,

Scrappy

p.s. using 1.0 ofc!

3 years ago

There used to be some places that used to do this... Keep in mind a recipe in bob's mods internally may look something like this:

Logistic robot 2:
If item.["flying-robot-frame-2"] then
add_ingredient("bob-logistic-robot-2", {"flying-robot-frame-2", 1})
else
if settings.["bobmods-logistics-robotrequireprevious"].value == false then
bobmods.lib.recipe.add_ingredient(robot, {"electric-engine-unit", 1})
bobmods.lib.recipe.add_ingredient(robot, {"battery", 2})
end
if item["aluminium-plate"] then
add_ingredient(robot, {"aluminium-plate", 1})
else
add_ingredient(robot, {"steel-plate", 1})
end
add_ingredient(robot, {"advanced-circuit", 3})

and I gave up hunting for the code at that point, it's more laid out by item required than the recipe it's adding to.

In any case, my point is Recipes change, they can be very different depending on settings, or which mods you have installed. No bobplates (Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates) then there's no Aluminium, so it has to fall back on steel. Higher tier flying robot frames are turned off? well, add most of their components to the recipe instead. Require previous tier robots? Add the previous tier robot, or add a couple of components instead. Enable Brains and Tools? Well, add those, or add components instead.

Logistic robot starts with no ingredients and is a huge mess of if else blocks of code.
And this isn't even taking into account if other mods, like Angels, would change the recipe (It does change a lot of my recipes)
Then you ask for a list of what the recipes are outside of the game... well, which one do you list, or do you write out the entire tree? Keep in mind that I could change the recipe at a whim between versions.

To answer your question... It has been attempted in the past, but I know of no source that is up to date.

3 years ago

Thanks for answering so quickly.

I noticed that the recipes are determined by alot of factors, included mod settings and mod interactions, thanks for the explanation on that one.
For my project (as I seem to call it now) I will probably focus on purely Bob's mods and default settings with a tweak on expensive research and recipes.

There is one thing left I'd like to know, since you mentioned that you might change recipes in between versions.
Ofcourse you should be able to update recipes do that, but I wonder if a) the previous versions of the mods will still be available after updating? and b) would you consider large overhauls or would it be minor adjustments that could be adjusted with updates?

a) because I could just make a modpack of bob's mods for a certain version (1.0.0) so my work is not entirely lost nor obsolete and
b) because I've seen some recipe-update.js files that seemed quite okay to handle if recipes were updated like that.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and great work on the mods!

3 years ago

I'd say... both, either could happen.
I do usually list changes in the changelog files, usually they're minor changes, balancing and the like, though I have also been known to make large sweeping changes. I once completely rewrote how inserters and belts work, adding new tiers and completely changing the recipes... people complained, so I reverted it, and people complained. So, I ended up adding an option to let people choose if they want the overhaul on or off.
I do tend to put things on an option by default now. For example, in bobrevamp, there's actually 2 oil overhaul options, the old one and the newer one.

And, I always leave my old mod versions on the mod portal, the only time I ever pull a release is when it's broken(Crash on load in certain situations), and the version that comes after it fixes that specific issue.

New response