Production Scrap 2

All items produce industrial waste, which must be recycled. See the Changelog and FAQ for other mod compatibility.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Manufacturing

g very nice mod

5 years ago

I stumbled about this mod....

and hesitated, but in the end i resolved to include it in a existing map (around 100h; 150 satellites so far.....)
I may be crazy but my factory is completely brocken down :-)
i barely have space anymore to fit all the scrape out of the process ....

This mod certanliy will lead to an main-bus design, because its easier then to fish out all the scrap....

• As i noticed all nuclear suff and some oil processing stuff are not included in the scrapes.....
  • it seems like you made a function for changing the recipes and smelters is it possible to include other mods also, or can other mods change thier items to fit ?
  • an intresting decision would be if it is possible to scale the scrape probability with adding of moduls (ie. speed modul 1 -> more scrape, but it should half the speed win ...)

so now excuse me i have to build up the recycling plant.....

5 years ago

Wow, you added the mod after getting 100 hours into the map -- you must have had a fun time redesigning everything to accommodate the scrap output!

We are planning to add more compatibility with other mods, but that is a slower process.

About the modules, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your idea, but the mod does produce module scrap, and it does scale up with each tier, for example, tier 1 produces 1x the %, tier 2 = 5x the %, tier 3 = 26x the %.

5 years ago

Yeah i though 3 times 5 times - then it got the better of me :-)

i looked into, and just barely found everwhere (hopefully) a little slot for a inserter or splitter and a provider chest.
also by design it has a small main bus system, so i could catch all the scrape in the transiton areas, before going into the more complicated stuff. for the more complicated stuff there is plenty of space and most are evenly spaced out -> so i can copy-paste the scrape catching
So far for my secund map so far all worked out nice....
With belts i don't have a chance, so bots it is, albeit i found bots not so good, i think they are overpowered and take a huge chunk of the design out, but only to the border of the factorio then it will be transported via train or belt (not sure yet)

The idea is, if using a speed-modul in an assembler naturally it will produce faster, but thats also a reason for more scrap. so i thought the scrape amount should be higher for the produced items in the said assembler with the module ...
( numbers : SM-1 -> 20% faster -> probability for scrape should be higher so in the end some 10% should be the good amount and the 10% more faster should be scrape)

(also the artillery wagon is not included (the turret i don't knwo because i don't use the turret)

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Ok, I think I see what you mean by the modules: you want the items that are produced by the assemblers that have modules to have more scrap, correct? Hmm I'm not sure how we would code that. I might have to get some help from more experienced modders on that. :)

However, as of version 0.1.2, it is possible to control the probability of scrap output for each TYPE of scrap separately, with the mod settings. I don't know if that would help with what you are talking about, but it is a start.

You are right, the artillery wagon is not producing scrap at this point. I could talk with Aquila and see if we could just add that (I don't know why not). The regular gun turret and the laser turret are producing scrap, though.

Thank you for your input. :)

5 years ago

Yes i have fun to design things/methods that then works for themself, also its like watching an aquarium :-) (if it works out)
I may have a faint glimpse that this is eventually the scoope of factorio ;-)

Yes that’s the intention of my proposal.
But on second thoughs, that would lead maybe to very much recipes (every assembler with every possible modul-assignment with every production recipe)
So i am lost on this :-)

• you use the chemical-plant to recycle, I would suggest to make specialized copy of the chemical-plant with much more pollution (after all recycling is good, but still a very harzardous task)
  • also the research could match somewhat the standart techtree

I looked into your code, as I try to learn coding.
You seem to make all the addition from your side...
Would it be possible to make the functions for setting scrape & the furnaces available to other mods ?
-> that would take off the workload from yours and every modder can add his scrap if he wish

Sorry for just all this muc text - but I very like this mod and I think it could be improved from super to a slightly more super :-)

5 years ago

@nosports: Thank you for your ideas; I think it should be possible to add them to the mod. I especially like the idea of creating a library of functions for other mods to use, and we could do that, but -- if the other modders don't choose to utilize them, then the users of those mods will still be asking us to add the compatibility. It's something to think about, but a great idea.

5 years ago
  • also the research could match somewhat the standart techtree
    What do you mean about the research? What would you change it to?
5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I would follow the tech.....

At first at the steel tech I would introduce the re-smelting (plates) technology with general scrap-tech
Later on when oil processing starts then the attached scrap recipes with additional research.

As currently you research the tech (also somewhat very fast, but for a simple resmelting it feels ok) you have all researched..
This feels a little like future tech available now....

Also I am not sure; It’s an idea.....
You could make some sepcialized science-pack(s) (maybe as an option, maybe freely available from the start?) (out of equally scrap & source item, ie. 1 iron-plate & 1 iron-scrap ) due to even today in reality its difficult to recycle.
Also for some reason that you (maybe) be not drowned in scrap and get a clear hint whats to be done about that matter
Further on the research / science pack could maybe used for some improved scrap-processing (means scrape processing leads to less scrape (if I am right processing scrap-plates will lead to a certain amount of 0.06 of scrap still; this amount could then be reduced, so in the end you can process more scrap, because less recircling; eventually counter this at start with an higher scrap probability (0.20, ?) as currently ? )
On second thoughs seems to complicated, but if you resolve to introduce a own specialized scrap-processing-plant you can make the processing faster by adding/researching more tiers of this scrap-processing-plant, maybe even interesting for high volume scrap-types

Fine fitting will be also if you could include this research tree possibility also in the library for other mods (if you resolve to make this, and if its possible)

Yes this will make it all more complicate, but if you resolve to add this mod then you are beyond reasons on this matter :-)

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I see what you mean about the research now. Part of what I liked about this mod when I first saw it, was how un-complicated it was, given that it introduced an interesting concept to the vanilla game. So, even though I am now involved in the development, I would kind of like to keep it as un-complicated as possible, while still providing features that are interesting.

I'll see what the possibilities are for expanding the research, but for now I would like to concentrate on balancing, and adding more vanilla items to the scrap production, and also adding more compatibility with other mods. As always, thank you for your ideas.

5 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

@badtouchar I would rather not use factorio forums at the moment. As far as other mod compatibility goes, I was hoping someone could conjure up some code similar to the "Powered entities" mod. This mod author set it up in a way that so if I wanted the power lines to auto create on modded entities/buildings, I could do so with a simple 5-10 line addition of code. It was easy enough so that anyone could manipulate even without coding experience (me). I imagine it takes more initial work for the mod author BUT, it would mean endless compatibility with other mods as regular users (like me) can easily submit code additions for more compatibility with modded buildings etc.

Go to this link to see what Im talking about: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Powered_Entities/discussion
For specific code:
https://github.com/DedlySpyder/Powered_Entities/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

Now, having revisited that, I see this thread: http://prntscr.com/nbpdk7

My way of thinking of adding compatibilities may be a very manual way of doing things apparently, having seen that. Though it appears it still requires the addition of a line of code.

New response