Quarry

by Shylie

Mine ores without an ore patch. Probably compatible with any mod.

Content
5 years ago
0.14 - 0.17
Mining

a Need more ideas and feedback.

6 years ago

did u read the title

6 years ago

The mod is very nice. Problem is, when used together with Angel's, it adds stone to the gas wells (if the option to add stone is active), making them unusable, as no building is able to mine both gas and stone.

What kinds of idea are you after?

A nice idea would be making the quarries not give just one kind of mineral (plus tone), but a random mix of them, making it more difficult to separate.

Also, if you are after compatibility with other mods, it would be nice if you could detect Bob's/Angel's combination and, if they are active, the quarries would give only the modified Angel's ores not the vanilla ones (Iron, Copper, etc).

On a side note, about balancing, I feel the energy cost of the quarries way too low for the benefit they provide. I would multiply the current cost by, at least, an order of 10. I feel you should have to have, like, 5 to 6 steam engines just to power one quarry.

6 years ago

I've thought about making recipes that give more than one type of mineral, but that would mean making every minable resource in one recipe, which would be pretty difficult, and on top of that, how would mining uranium work, as that takes sulfuric acid.

6 years ago

The quarries definitely need to be locked behind research and made much more expensive in both res and power. I started using this mod and a few others together and not even an hour in i can build like 5 of them :\ then almost 3 hours in i have about 9 or 10 tier 2 quarries and i now have a really steady supply of resources. My current ore:stone is 67%:33% maybe i just need to switch the two but that still doesn't merit the cheap cost of researching and acquiring them.

Other than that it's pretty solid. I like the idea of the whole quarry thing, but maybe to justify it completely they should also be bigger and get bigger with each tier. a 2x2 for infinite resources is pretty OP imho.

I hope i didn't sound too critical, it is a great mod and definitely makes other mods more fun too!

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Alright. I'll add a cost multiplier option. 1.6.5 already has power mult option.

:p

6 years ago

potentially mining uranium would mean that the quarry would always have to be hooked up to an acid pipe even if it wasn't using it just in case it ran across uranium in its random ore mining. You could set it to check for acid, and if there isn't any, it will skip any uranium it should "mine". thus it can't "mine" uranium without an acid pipe.

One suggestion that may be a bit tricky to implement would be to add barreling and unbarreling to the quarry. this way you could barrel in acid or barrel out oil circumventing potential pipeline messiness.

6 years ago

It seems like a complex thing to implement. If I find a way to do so, I'll certainly add it (as a mod setting).

The goal of this mod as of 0.15 is not only to make a mod that people enjoy, but a mod that people can customize to their own preferences without having to request features, using the in-game mod settings. Customization options are always better than no customization options. :p

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Using 3x power multiplier myself. Even with 2x its power cost is same as regular electric drill, and default value is only half of that. I'm guessing T1 quarry produces ore a little slower than electric drill, and that's ok in my opinion. I just like it so that mining ores from the world should be favorable in terms of power and resource costs. If you are still missing ore, the quarry can be a backup. Maybe in very lategame it would become primary source.

6 years ago

I take it this means the current customization options are fine?

6 years ago

I meant the power use is too low by default, but i haven't done enough testing with the mod to say where balance should be. Need some more opinions maybe. It shouldn't be energy/resource identical or cheaper than electric drill because it makes ore out of energy, right? Would doubling the power cost (to 90 kW) be better?

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

hi. like this mod alot, kind of think they should benefit from the mining productivity research, not the full 2%, 1% would be enough.

6 years ago

Not sure if it's possible with the current modding API. I'll take a look.

6 years ago

is a network connection possible for this maschine ?
i have a mod thats set the repice of a maschine and i want to regulate the ressource flow with the network.
this would be realy nice

6 years ago

Like Outlawforst mentioned, connection to a circuit network would be nice. In my case I was trying to connect a lamp to the quarry to notify me when the stone went over a fixed number. This would color the lamp to red or something. People who are doing more advanced circuit things can think of other stuff probably.
The other comments also are good idea's as now it's very easy to use only quarries and still have a lot of resources.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

i would love "benefit from the mining productivity", as a 'workarround' mby u can add ur own resarch tree to reduce crafting time of ores.

edit: u can look at omnimatter for example.

6 years ago

I'm assuming that circuit connection is possible. Quarries are just fancy assembling machines.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Like others said, it would be very cool when your machines would function with the mining productivity research.
I hope you will update it to 0.17?
Very great mod! Thank you!

New response