Clicker

by ElAdamo

Now in technicolor.

Utilities
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.0

g can i get a bit of background inspiration of the mod

4 years ago

I.E. what function will the mod cover [I know that you stated this in the information tab] and what can I integrate control of my factory to the controller

sorry if I sound rude but this is a good tactic [well when one is making the mod to ask themselves] and I wish to get a picture off what was the thought behind the mod other then proof of concept

4 years ago

Well, we're big on multiplayer. I used to have the "Adamo Cam", which was a camera you could use to watch other players online. We also had helicopters, which had a sort of remote control interface for just the helicopters, but not other vehicles. Then we started adding companions to the game, the first one being the sheep (compilatrons that are hidden in the base game). At some point I decided I wanted to add an interface to monitor all the players at once in smaller windows, then click on them to bring up the larger cam, which was the camera from the old mod. It started to grow from there when I realized I could take the helicopter mod stuff, reverse the equipment, and add a tracking camera plus basic autopilot to any vehicle in the game. That's a lot of the work that's under the hood in this mod right now: the autopilot. The camera stuff should all work without an issue (but if it doesn't, let me know!). It's definitely a multiplayer-centric mod, and if you're on a multiplayer server where players are using the remote equipment in vehicles, you'll see the interface will start filling up with more camera previews. On single player it's pretty boring.

Next immediately steps will be to do more with the adamo clicker stations. Those are the helipad looking things. I think I'm going to make them look more like they have some sort of loading arm, and integrate a chest into them, so that you can send a vehicle to go pick up items from a station, or to drop off items. But before I do anything I want to be sure this current version is totally stable.

4 years ago

However, in the base game, there are no flying vehicles. The autopilot is honestly not very useful without flying vehicles, since tank and cars will not stop for buildings and will run a hole through your factory if allowed. I MIGHT do something about that one day, but I don't want to create another AAI-vehicles mod, you know?

4 years ago

So, I would suggest adding the dirigibles mod for some simply flying vehicles that work well with the autopilot.

4 years ago

I forgot to say that the inspiration is simply that there are many useful and goofy things that we could put into a "push button controller". If you aren't aware, that's the name of those big colored buttons you see on a factory floor where you can shut the whole factory down or do other things with the machinery. Clicker just seemed like a funny name. So I'm open to adding lots of functionality. Maybe I'll even make it into a platform where people could require it and then add more buttons. But that's down the road -- the codebase is still pretty insane, right now, and I want to move on to fixing nuclear.

4 years ago

So what I'm saying is let me know if you have any ideas about other features to add.

4 years ago

I think this mod is interesting - I wanted to use it to help find my car and maybe track trains live. So far I've not managed to do much with it except find that bug I reported - I think if you spend a little time making a short instruction manual on how to use the various buttons and items the mod adds it will get more attention.

Also, any improvement you make here will make it even more popular if it tends to the vanilla game elements first and then to other modded content from you or others,

That's my two cents.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Cool, thanks. I will do that! I'm in the process of releasing my entire mod kit, that I've been working on for a long time, and so adding more details will be part of that.

Just to answer the thing you mentioned: if you put a clicker remote in the car's equipment grid, and make sure it has enough power --internally it's just a battery, but it'll sever the remote connection if it runs out of juice -- , then click the scan button at the top of the clicker menu, that should add the car to the interface, giving a video of the car. Then you can click on the car's window to order it to do things like follow you (vehicles with tank-like driving work better than cars), for example: but I strongly suggest not doing this inside your base. :P And don't get run over! Hold shift and/or using left/right click does different things when you click on buttons -- I think the tooltips cover all of the options, but it might be cryptic.

As long as the remote unit has power, it will maintain the connection with the clicker screen. I don't think I'll be able to create an autopilot that can figure out how to avoid buildings (even the base unit ai doesn't do that), so using aircraft-type vehicles, like the dirigibles mod, and my and this other dude's hopefully-soon-to-come aircraft framework, will probably be best for the foreseeable future.

If you're not using the mod on a large multiplayer server, though, you're only seeing about half of the functionality. Because a big part of the mod is being able to track and pull up video on other players (all players as admin, or just players on your force as a regular player).

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I got a clearer picture now - I'm not using a grid mod so I don't have where to use the remote and therefore cannot track my car better then before...

I guess I'll have to make a decision about that, since I don't multiplay. Nice mod though

New response