BeastFinder

by moon69

Find where in your factory items & fluids are made, used or stored. Search assemblers, furnaces, chests & storage tanks for specified item(s).

Utilities
2 years ago
0.15 - 1.1

i Github or similar

3 years ago

Hey,

your mod is the closest to a mod I want to write. Basically I want to add a few more search criterias to your mod and change the UI a bit to support those.

Do you have your code on a public repo somewhere, so I can send you merge requests in case you think they are nice? Otherwise I will just make my own mod and put you in the credits.

3 years ago

I haven't published it anywhere.

Do you want to take or share ownership of BeastFinder rather than make a new mod?

If so, you could publish it on Github - I will happily contribute there as and when I can.

My only small request is that the license stays very permissive.

3 years ago

It was not really my intent to take part or full ownership of your mod, but I will think about it once im done with a feature request of my Screenshot mod.

I do not want full ownership.

My prefered licence of choice is the GNU gplv3 Licence, which to my knowledge is the same as the Unlicence you are using so far with the exception that reuse of the code needs to be accessible again and authors must be credited. But im bad at licences, i might be wrong there.

I don't know yet how many changes or additions your mod would need to satisfy my requirements, but once I know I will tell you. I think it makes the most sense to talk then about sharing ownership.

3 years ago

Cool. I'm sure we can work something out.

3 years ago

I am slowly finishing my mod, so I would soon like to start working on your mod soon.

I was using it for a few hours and, as a UI programmer by trade, find some things in your UI confusing and unintuitive. So I would like to first tackle some UI improvements and then add the functionality I am missing in it. I would start by drawing up some mock images of what I would like to change your current UI into.

To avoid coming up with something you would not like to have, please tell me in a few words what your main focus on the current designs were. For example, my current ideas would probably end up being less compact than your almost text-free UI.

Regarding GitHub, I really like to use git/github, so I would upload it to github and add you as a collaborator, unless you upload it yourself.

If you like the mocks i will draw up we should probably switch to a different communication media. My preferred channels are discord, signal or plain old mail, whichever you prefer.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I kinda finished the first mock, some more will come.

There are a few small things missing, like a small hint text on the last, empty entry of the list of items to search for, to clarify that you have to click that last entry to add new items, as well as the small tooltip-i icon on the filter checkboxes to more precisely explain what the filter actually does.

The mocks i still want to do are:

• collapsed filter
  • search history frame
  • settings frame

I am looking forward to your feedback.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I see that you are focussed on other things than Factorio Mods at the moment. The last really big update for my screenshot mod is done and only a few polishing tasks are left open.

I will start working on the mentioned changes. I would ask you to simply add me as a contributor, then I will take care of the rest.

If you focus on more important things in life until I am done with my changes I will publish my changes as a new mod with credits to yours. We can merge it later if you like. The big benefit of modifying your mod instead of publishing it on my own would be that your - quite big - userbase would directly benefit from the changes instead of having to find mine first.

2 years ago

Sorry for delay Anders... life has taken me to some strange, darkish places lately.

Please do what you will here!

NB: I just released a small bug fix to 1.1.3 - please include it if poss.

2 years ago

No reason to feel sorry.

I gladly accept the collaboration invite, I'm looking forward to contributing.

I thought a lot about your UI and what I would change. I came up with quite a different approach to what BeastFinder does that would partially remove some of your ways of doing things. Hence I uploaded a placeholder mod that I will do, Foogle. (Now that I think of it, I might call it SkullFinder, as an homage to the name BeastFinder).

Nonetheless I will probably do the UI improvements I spoke about in the foreseeable future and if I find some issues with your search algorithm, I will fix it in both mods. Especially the multiplayer stuff seems to be a bit iffy, as you said yourself in a different post.

Wether I start with polishing your UI or with my mod I don't know yet.

And again, thanks!

2 years ago

This is the GitHub repo I will be using for this: https://github.com/Anders142536/BeastFinder

2 years ago

SkullFinder - I like it :)

2 years ago

I dropped a pm on the forum for you with contact information in case we need it.

This thread has been locked.