Auto Research

by canidae

Automates research. Toggle GUI with Shift+T (customizable).

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

a Auto Research & Factorio 0.17

5 years ago

I'm traveling and won't be able to update this mod before the end of the week at earliest.
0.17 brought us a research queue, which covers much of what I initially made AR for. So if you still think there's a use for AR, then please leave a comment below.

5 years ago

I personally would still love this mod to be updated. From what I can tell, you have to launch a rocket for the queue to be unlocked (not sure if there's a setting to bypass, i didn't see one). and just being able to have the science auto queue or auto research would be delightful.

5 years ago

I briefly tested 0.17 on my laptop (which barely manages to run the game), and it seemed to me that research queue is available from the start of a game. It was however not possible to queue future techs unless the prerequisites already had been researched (or added to the queue).
I did notice that the game sets a limit on techs you may queue, and while I didn't try for long it looked like rearranging the queue is a bit of a hassle.

5 years ago

I see after starting a new game you can choose to start with the new queue.
I wish the devs made it so you could rearrange the queue.
Auto research is great for those of us that either can’t be bothered to kept choosing research or those that can never remember.
Id love to see it updated, but can understand if its not worth it.

5 years ago

Auto Research definitely still serves a purpose in .17. There are way more options that exist in your mod, and any time I play with mods it's always one of the first things I add. Hopefully when you get time you'll be able to update it to work with the new version.

5 years ago

Tested with 0.17.1 and "info.json" edit. Changed:

"factorio_version": "0.17",
"dependencies": [ "base >= 0.17" ],

For me works fine. Haven't noticed any issues.

5 years ago

It'll queue stuff a bit weirdly when you play around in the AR GUI, so a few more changes are needed to make it work properly with 0.17. Although it can serve as a temporary work-around.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I would dearly like your version. It (currently) works better than the new built-in one.

Edit:
I tried the vanilla queue of v0.17. It's downright awful. You cannot even queue things automatically.
So, your mod is DEARLY appreciated.

5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback!
I've created a new version for 0.17, but I've not tested it fully yet. When AR is enabled the in-game research queue will be disabled (and enabled again when AR is disabled). I might look into supporting the in-game queue later, but I couldn't find an obvious way to do so today (having issues that changing settings in AR just fills the queue with techs, often duplicate techs).

5 years ago

thank you for update :)

5 years ago

default keybind (shift+t) is gone. i and my friend had to set it up manualy.

5 years ago

also "ingredients filter result" works wrongly.

5 years ago

Do'h. I forgot about fixing the keybinding. Will look into it.
I'll also look into the ingredients filter.
Thanks for letting me know!

5 years ago

Thanks for the effort Canidae! Really great to see this annoyance being fixed by your mod.

5 years ago

I believe the default keybinding and ingredient filtering should work properly again now.

5 years ago

Just ran this on a new world and got the following error/crash:
The mod Auto Research caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event auto-research::on_player_created (ID 24)
The mod Team Mod caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event TeamMod::on_research_started (ID 17)
TeamMod/utility/event_functions.lua:529: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
TeamMod/utility/event_functions.lua:529: in function <TeamMod/utility/event_functions.lua:523>
stack traceback:
auto-research/control.lua:221: in function 'startNextResearch'
auto-research/control.lua:76: in function 'setAutoResearch'
auto-research/control.lua:17: in function 'getConfig'
auto-research/control.lua:681: in function <auto-research/control.lua:679>
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'newindex'
__auto-research
/control.lua:221: in function 'startNextResearch'
auto-research/control.lua:76: in function 'setAutoResearch'
auto-research/control.lua:17: in function 'getConfig'
auto-research/control.lua:681: in function <auto-research/control.lua:679>

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

SharkCK: I'm quite confused by this stack trace. It says both AR and TeamMod crashed, yet there's no sign of AR actually crashing in the stack strace, although TeamMod did do an illegal operation ("TeamMod/utility/event_functions.lua:529: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)").
See if you can reproduce this error when you disable the AR mod and keep TeamMod enabled. If there's no error then, it could be that these two mods don't go along very well. That should be fixable, but I can't tell right now whether it's in AR or TeamMod the fixes must be applied.

5 years ago

Could not get the error to reappear with TeamMod enabled and AR.

5 years ago

Then my guess is that TeamMod crashes because of AR beginning a research just as the game starts. I'm fairly certain you won't see this error if you disable TeamMod and leave AR enabled (although if you do get an error, then please post it).

New response