Induction Charging deprecated

by Raeon

Power your equipment grid whilst in range of power poles, albeit at a price.

Content
3 years ago
Armor

i One insane idea)

3 years ago

How about adding another very expensive tier of items to manufacture (Induction Batteries) that will work as a battery + induction coil, and another endgame ability to build an Induction Battery with some piece of equipment (Very expensive) so that it becomes autonomous?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I love the battery idea it would have to be at least yellow or purple science i think :)?

But i don't like the Massive power over the Fusion Reactor, as noted in the mod info, "a throughput of 750kW / 16 = 47kW per tile"
so T5 inductors * 16 = 3,840 kW for the same footprint. This seems way too high as it is over 5 times the power of a fusion reactor, i get that it has a disadvantage but that still seems super overpowered to me :(
How about something more like this ?
https://i.imgur.com/VH4N9jY.png

Also a connected idea (and the reason i used "power to armor per tile"...
What about adding size to each Tier so you don't just use the best (t5) in every empty space?
Maybe something like https://i.imgur.com/DrUtooz.png ?

Sorry about taking over your thread Ilereneae, i would love some feedback about my ideas :D
also with the induction + batteries, how much power storage did you have in mind?

3 years ago

-"Endgame feature" - purple science i think

-Size is a great idea, but if I were you, I would think about adding a limit on the quantity that can be put into armor (As an example from the air - T1 - 10 pieces limit, T2 - 5 pieces, T3 - 3 pieces, T4 - 2 pieces and T5 is one, maybe this will deprive the problem of "abuse of such a useful thing as T5")

-I think there should be less for dual batteries. The final batteries in vanilla have 100 mJ of energy and these should have something like 60 mJ of capacity, and of course this option can only be used with T5)

3 years ago

if the max power per armor slot isn't changed then a limit on the total would be another way to fix the 'op-ness'

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

First of all, thanks for trying my mod! I hope you're enjoying it so far :-). And wow, there's a lot to unpack here.

@Ilereneae

How about adding another very expensive tier of items to manufacture (Induction Batteries) that will work as a battery + induction coil

I won't be doing this. The mod is already strong enough as is (I'll address this later); it's only meant to compete with the Portable Solar Panels and Portable Fusion Reactors. It's not intended to be some god-tier equipment that'll solve all your problems.

and another endgame ability to build an Induction Battery with some piece of equipment (Very expensive) so that it becomes autonomous?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but honestly buffing is the last thing I'm thinking of doing right now. It's already really strong.

@EmuLegs

This seems way too high as it is over 5 times the power of a fusion reactor, i get that it has a disadvantage but that still seems super overpowered to me :(

I agree- I'll look into maybe nerfing the higher tiers a bit. I do want to emphasise that I believe the disadvantage given by being tethered can be quite significant; especially in megabases you are pretty unlikely to be standing in range of power poles. Vehicles can also theoretically be powered from an equipment grid provided you have a mod installed that enables that. In the context of trains, for example, they might only be at a station briefly. In those cases the higher throughput might make more sense. Even if it might feel strong for a regular player's equipment grid, there's a lot more factors to take into consideration here.

Maybe something like https://i.imgur.com/DrUtooz.png ?

This looks interesting! I'll have to think about this.

@Ilereneae

I would think about adding a limit on the quantity that can be put into armor

An interesting approach, but I don't think this is very feasible. Imagine someone using a mod that adds a Mk6 power armor, and then only being allowed to use 10 coils.. That's gonna be tough. I could theoretically derive it off the size of the equipment grid, but I still don't think that it'll work very well in practice. It's also not very user-friendly, honestly.

-I think there should be less for dual batteries. The final batteries in vanilla have 100 mJ of energy and these should have something like 60 mJ of capacity, and of course this option can only be used with T5)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

3 years ago

@EmuLegs

so T5 inductors * 16 = 3,840 kW for the same footprint. This seems way too high as it is over 5 times the power of a fusion reactor, i get that it has a disadvantage but that still seems super overpowered to me :(

I think you underestimate how big pain it is to stay under power poles :)
runnight through big base -> most of it doesn't have power coverage
running between outpost -> most of the way has no power coverage
attacking bitter nests -> they don't have power
exploring -> nope

3 years ago

You are right about power coverage, I would still like something larger then 1x1 as I don't like the idea of just "filling" all open armour slots lol

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Sneak peek :-) https://i.imgur.com/peNmeGu.png
I wish I was better with graphics.. oh well.

3 years ago

Very cool, I'll see if I can do anything about the graphics :)

3 years ago

That would be great. If you can, also take a look at the Bigger Batteries mod. I've got an update sitting ready but I just don't have the skill to modify the existing graphics or create new ones.

3 years ago

How long is your estimate for the update (days weeks months)?

Just wondering if I should wait or start a game without it.

3 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. If and when I get around to it it'll only involve some extra recipes that you can use to build higher tiers; it'll be fully compatible.

New response